Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

best otc insert for pf??

Posted by susan m on 9/05/03 at 12:56 (128872)

I have just been diagnosed with pf. What is the best insert or shoe device(?) for relief for this condition. My left foot(heel) is killing me and I need some relief! I live in canada so limited product availability.

Re: best otc insert for pf??

Ed Davis,DPM on 9/05/03 at 13:17 (128874)

susan:

I like the Superfeet ( http://www.superfeet.com ) . They are based in WA, just a few miles south of the Canadian border. I have seen some shops that 'customize' them (White Rock, BC).

You may want to consider combining them with a good running shoes such as the New Balance 1122 or Brooks Ariel.

If the problem is significant, consult a podiatrist --- lots of good ones in Canada. Where do you live?
Ed

Dr. Z on 9/05/03 at 17:04 (128888)

I have used the Power step which is on this site. Works very well if there isn't alot of abnormal biomechanical problems

BGCPed on 9/06/03 at 07:15 (128934)

I 2x Dr Ed, Superfeet work well I use tons of them. Get the green active not the blue it has more material and more support. Match them up to your arch dont just pick them by what size the box says. I fit many people in the size above theirs and trim the end.

Ed Davis, DP on 9/06/03 at 11:40 (128960)

BG:

They used to sell a 'professional' version termed 'podothotics' with a grey vinyl top cover. I prefer the green fabric cover -- less slippery.
I dispense tons of them but usually modify them with some orthopedic felt or EVA to achieve some customization. One of the reasons I like then, besides the deep heel cup, is their ease of modifiability.
Ed

BGCPed on 9/06/03 at 15:28 (128976)

Thats right they are very good. I often add on some eva for a heel post also. I just wish that plastic stabilizing layer didnt pill up so bad when you grind it. Think it is too soft not sure if it is polypro or co-poly but its hard to make it look clean

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/06/03 at 22:36 (128999)

BG:
I know what you mean about the grinding of the middle layer -- I would remind patients that this is a usually a temporary device so appaearance is not the first goal.

Have you tried the Power Step inserts? I have not.

The Pre-Custom prefabs from Northwest lab are truly amazing. They are thin, firm yet surprisingly comfortable. They can be heated with a heat gun to be adjusted. I am about 220 lb., wore one pair for a year and it did not break or lose shape, despite the fact that I heated and adjusted it several times. Occasionally, after making a full custom orthotic, I will heat mold one of the Pre-Customs to the patients positive cast, perhaps covering it with 1/16 ' EVA to the sulcus in order to make a quicky dress shoe orthotic. The end result is a customized prefab that is much better and more economical than some of the crap being pushed as custom dress shoe orthotics.
Ed

Carl on 9/08/03 at 06:33 (129101)

Susan, I do not know if they ship to Canada, but (if so) you may want to give Ortho-Dynamic's HEEL-LITE a try:
http://www.orthodynamics.com/
It provides good arch support and cushioning and has a gel filled heel cup for added relief. If your pf/heels spurs are due to over-pronation/flat feet (as is the case with me), it should be helpful.

tom on 9/25/03 at 22:33 (131092)

I had a lot of luck with the orthaheel.