Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Running with PF

Posted by Lisa M on 9/05/03 at 15:56 (128881)

I am a marathon runner attempting to qualify for the Olympic Trials. My qualifying marathon is just 2 weeks away. I have had PF for about 6 weeks. Can anyone give me some suggestions for continuing to run and compete with this condition? I have tried many things in a short period of time including cryosurgery.

Re: Running with PF

Dr. Z on 9/05/03 at 17:02 (128887)

You can use orthosis, taping, posterior tibial nerve block to remove inflamation. There are cases where the Italian Olympic Soccer Team used daily low energy ESWT and were able to complete within two weeks very well.

Lisa M on 9/05/03 at 17:19 (128889)

What is posterior tibial nerve block? Would this procedure alow me to run and have feeling in my foot?

Dr. Z on 9/05/03 at 20:04 (128902)

This is where the doctor injects a local anesthetic around this nerve. This will break up the pain cycle and remove inflamation. It can be very effective in the stage of pf that you have. You don't do this on the day you run to make your foot numb

Lisa M on 9/08/03 at 14:25 (129152)

I have contacted 2 Pods. in my area. Neither had heard of this as a treatment for PF. Both said it would do no more than make my foot numb for a day. I am very interested if it works. Please give me more info on how it reduces the inflamation. Maybe I can educate my podiatrist.
Thank you,
Lisa