Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

entertaining little trick, can you do this?

Posted by Max K on 9/05/03 at 22:24 (128919)

While sitting at your desk,

make clockwise circles with your right foot.

While doing this, draw the number '6' in the air

with your right hand.

Your foot will change direction.

Even if you try to direct it cognitively, it can't be done!

Re: entertaining little trick, can you do this?

R C on 9/05/03 at 22:35 (128921)

Sorry, Max. I had absolutely no difficulty making the foot circles and the 6 as described, without the foot changing direction. I thought for a moment that maybe it's because I'm left-handed. But then, I also had no difficulty doing the mirror image of this -- counter-clockwise circles with left foot, draw a backwards '6' in the air with my left hand, foot maintains c.c.w. cirlces. Before I look into other plausible versions of this, would you assure me that this wasn't your sneaky ploy to see how many people would be silly enough to try it at all?

Max K on 9/05/03 at 22:42 (128923)

I am unable to do it. I tried it at least 20 times. A friend emailed me this yesterday. I am astonished that you can do it at all, much less without any difficulty. Just now I tried it again: I do a few circles (clockwise) with my right foot, then I try to draw a 6 in the air: the farthest I get with drawing the 6 is to the bottom of the 6. At that point the coordination of my right foot collapses. Every time.

R C on 9/05/03 at 22:49 (128925)

I think it is only fair to tell you that I can also move each eyebrow completely independently of the other. They won't make circles, though.

Rick R on 9/06/03 at 07:36 (128936)

It took a second try for me but I could do it. I knew being dyslexic would come in handy some day.

Suzanne D on 9/06/03 at 08:29 (128938)

When I first tried this, Max, my foot immediately started circling the other direction as soon as I began drawing the 6 in the air!

Then I concentrated really hard and was able to do it the third time.

But then I have to keep my eyes on 23 first graders every day, so that has probably helped my concentration! ;)

Suzanne :)

marie on 9/06/03 at 08:53 (128941)

I tried it three times and could not keep my foot going in a clockwise movementbut i was watching my hand. The third time I looked at my foot instead of my hsnd and I could do it. Which would lead me to believe that it's a visual function. If you are left brain dominant the act of drawing a number in the air would force you into the left side of your brain. If you are focusing on the visual movemment of the foot you will stay right because the right side of your brain does not calculate numbers and is in charge of vision. Someone who is whole brained (both sides dominant) may have more success at it.

When I tested for brain dominance the results read: 'You are an artist. You live, dress and function as an artist'.

Both my children are whole brained. Their brains are in constant conflict for dominance. Most, but not all, whole brained individuals have terrible handwriting.

I had a student some years ago that was in a terrible car accident. She lost 80% of the left side of her brain function. She could look at an object and know what to do with it but she could not name the object. The left is in charge of names and symbols that represent objects. Which meant she was unable to read, calculate math, tell time etc....Her math, language arts teachers and myself spent two years teaching the right side of her brain to take over the functions of her left. It was very interesting and heartbreaking.

Kathy G on 9/06/03 at 09:50 (128945)

My family questions whether I have a whole brain everyday!

And I sure can't do it! I am painfully right-handed - not ambidexterous at all. I'm sure that's the reason. Marie, I am the polar opposite of you. Not an artistic bone in my body.:D

wendyn on 9/06/03 at 11:58 (128962)

I had no problem doing it the first few times - then all of a sudden it seemed harder. I think it depends on where you're looking. Staring straight ahead (not at your hand or foot) seems to make it easier.

Kay - I have to get back to work.