Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

5 mos post ESWT

Posted by Jeanne S on 9/06/03 at 00:15 (128927)

Hi to All,
I had eswt 5 months ago and corresponded on this site until July so I thought I'd check in. I am now wearing my orthotics daily in N.B. running shoes and my foot pain is gone for run-of-the-mill activities; I can now walk at a good pace for 1 to 2 miles bfore my foot hurts. The thing that helped me to improve was adding the othotics to my every day routine. The ESWT took away the severe pain, but it was about 2 months before I could walk more than 1/4 mile without some pain. I am very glad I had ESWT and a POD who pushed me to get the orthotics! My ins co (BC/BS of Mass) has stopped covering ESWT so I won't be having another treatment unless I regress severely. I hope to continue to improve. Has anyone had improvement after 5 months? I can no longer wear my birks outside the house; I can feel my foot starting to hurt when I wear them for very long. Has anyone had this happen? Birks were the ONLY shoes I wore until this injury and I would love to be able to wear them for everyday errands, etc. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

Re: 5 mos post ESWT

Dr. Z on 9/06/03 at 07:42 (128937)

ESWT will improve. I would stop walking two miles or even any walking if my foot hurt. Wait until you no pain before you start to walk again. There is too much too lose. The ESWT goes on for one year

Peter R on 9/07/03 at 12:03 (129026)

To: Jeanne S.
Please post more info about your ESWT treatment please- low or high energy- Dornier or other- location in Mass and the Doc if you would please do so.

Jeanne S on 9/07/03 at 16:43 (129033)

Peter,
I had my ESWT with the Dornier with Dr. Eliot Sherr in Peabody, MA. He was excellent and I would recommend him to you. The tech who handled the machine does it for Mass. General as well and he was great. Let me know if you need more info.
Jeanne

Peter R on 9/07/03 at 19:11 (129060)

You were in the hands of one of the most experienced ESWT technicians in the USA. Dr Sherr, who has done many ESWT treatments has a web site http://www.bunionbusters.com and you can see a video of the tech at that site. I am sure that you will do very well.

Dr. Z on 9/07/03 at 19:26 (129061)

Peter,
I just reviewed the bunionbusters web site it is a new version. The old version did have a video. There is a section on this web site which talks about Cosmetic foot surgery. This is a new and popular specialty in Podiatry and is a very dangerous surgical approach to take. Doing surgery on toes that have no pain can leave the toe in a very painful, deforming condition. Dr. Sherr's teacher Dr. Smith was interviewedd about this very topic. In summary any doctor who operates on a foot that has no pain is doing harm to that patient. This is just a warning to patients who go to this ESWT site.
As for the site regarding ESWT well it is very basic and a copy from many sites. I guess I am in the Peter mode just telling it like it is

Peter R on 9/07/03 at 20:29 (129066)

Dr. Z- The truth is never good or bad-it is only the truth.