Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT for ANKLE Plantar Fasciitis approved?

Posted by Karla N on 9/07/03 at 10:54 (129022)

I have plantar faciitis in my ankles, still resulting in great heel pain- I was told ESWT has not been approved for use in the ankles yet is this true and if so what can I do?! Please help

Re: ESWT for ANKLE Plantar Fasciitis approved?

Peter R on 9/07/03 at 12:05 (129027)

?? The last time I looked the plantar fascii was not located in the ankle.

Karla N on 9/07/03 at 12:24 (129028)

Ok wrong word - I have bone spurs in my ankles (x-ray results) that result in the same pain problems for those who have the similar problem in their heels- My heels hurt too - but can anyone answer if the ESWT is approved for use in the ankles too???

Dr. Z on 9/07/03 at 13:10 (129031)

ESWT is approved for plantar fasciitis located on the bottom of the foot. The achilles tendon is behind the ankle and can have spurring. Is this what you have?- Achilles tendonitis with spurring on the back of the heel?
Achilles tendonitis at the back of the heel bone is very similiar to plantar fasciitis lcoated on the bottom of the heel bone. You will limp or have pain when you first get up in the morning and then the pain and or limping will be reducted after walking for a short period

Dr. Z on 9/07/03 at 17:56 (129043)

No

Karla N on 9/07/03 at 18:34 (129052)

Dr. Z-
Yes yes yes this is exactly what I have! Is ESWT viable for this condition??? I am in desperate need of a non-invasive approach that works! thank you for your response!

Karla N on 9/07/03 at 18:42 (129054)

Dr.Z This is exactly my condition- except that after I walk on my feet (especially without a shoe on an incline or barefoot the pain returns and is horrible-limiting my daily activities) - what are my non-invasive approaches that will fix this dillemna? Is ESWT an option???? Is it available and is this something it could fix?? thank YOu

Dr. Z on 9/07/03 at 18:49 (129056)

If it is the achilles tendon at it insertion then ESWT can do used. This is an off label use in the USA. We have used ESWT for this condition since 1999 with very effective pain reduction.

Dr. Z on 9/07/03 at 20:30 (129067)

Tell me more about your previous treatments so far ?

Karla N on 9/07/03 at 22:49 (129086)

Dr. Z
Oh Tell me more!
I have had physical therapy, put inserts in my shoes, taken anti-inflammatories (helps but I don't wnat to take them all the time) - Not walked - but who wants to do that?? Bought special shoes, worn shoes with a heel.
I have notced that when I walk I land on my heels first- especially the back left of my right heel- the indentions in my shoes (from use) prove this. Have I missed something? I also lost weight and I was not and am not overweight. I would be so happy to find a way to rid this daily pain!

Karla N on 9/08/03 at 12:47 (129137)

Dr. Z
Oh Tell me more!
I have had physical therapy, put inserts in my shoes, taken anti-inflammatories (helps but I don't want to take them all the time) - Not walked - but who wants to do that?? Bought special shoes, worn shoes with a heel.
I have noticed that when I walk I land on my heels first- especially the back left of my right heel- the indentions in my shoes (from use) prove this. Have I missed something? I also lost weight and I was not and am not overweight. I would be so happy to find a way to rid this daily pain!

Dr. Z on 9/08/03 at 12:59 (129142)

It sounds like ESWT could help you alot. Give Excellence Shockwave Therapy Group a call at 856-769-8270. They will send you out an eswt informational broshure. Or e-mail with you name and address and I will see to it that they send you the information

Karla N on 9/08/03 at 14:01 (129150)

Dr. Z Thank you for the info- I called and left a message- hope they send one- Just in case here is my e-mail address- (email removed)
Thank you fo rall of your responses!