Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

what else can I try?

Posted by Joanie S on 9/07/03 at 22:05 (129078)

Have had problems for about a year now. Seeing doctors since April. DPM first who used strapping, 1 cortisone shot, night splint. Then changed to an orthopedist who did two more shots, put me on oral prednisone, then non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, and PT x3 a week. I'm going on 6 wks of PT now. Pain is primarily in my right foot and not any better. Started in my heel, but now my whole foot throbs, my toes burn and sometimes I have muscle spasms up my leg. I only wear Birks or Merrells with OTC orthotics or heel cups. Weird thing is that it doesn't hurt when I walk, but afterwards and sometimes it wakes me up at night, even if I do get through the night with the night splint, which I find very uncomfortable. I do lots of stretching exercises at home also. Getting desperate, any thing else I can try? Thanks!

Re: what else can I try?

Kathy G on 9/08/03 at 08:59 (129104)


I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time. Did the doctor definitely diagnose you with PF? Does you occupation require that you stand a great deal?

If you read Scott's Heal Pain Book, you will find a great deal of very helpful information. I recently purchased a night splint, knowing that I would never be able to sleep in it, so I wear it when I am watching TV or reading. Actually, for me, it seems to make my foot worse and not help my calf at all, which is why I purchased it. But many people have found it to be of great help.

What are they doing in PT? Do you seem to get relief from them?

Sorry about all the questions but it helps to know what you've tried, etc. Not that I am any authority on PF but between all of us here on the Boards, we can at least help you by telling you what we've experienced.

Keep us posted!

Re: what else can I try?

Kathy G on 9/08/03 at 08:59 (129105)

Had I spelled it correctly, it would have come up as a link. Heel pain book. :D

Re: what else can I try?

Mike W on 9/08/03 at 09:06 (129107)

Hello Joanie,

It is my belief that many of the standard PT exercises are incorrect and may do more harm than good.

Check out my website http://www.foottrainer.com click PF and then click incorrect exercises to find out why they are ineffective.

I hope this helps.


Mike W

Re: what else can I try?

BrianG on 9/08/03 at 15:51 (129173)

I don't think that you mentioned ice. In the past I have used ice every night. I use bags of frozen peas, as they conform nicely to your heels. Also, pain meds if needed.

Good luck

Re: what else can I try?

Joanie S on 9/08/03 at 17:47 (129190)

Sorry, I roll my foot over a frozen water bottle too. Forgot to mention that.
I go back to the doctor next week and will have to ask for pain meds I guess. Was hoping I didn't have to resort to that.

Re: what else can I try?

Kathy G on 9/09/03 at 12:03 (129279)

From what I've read here, you'd be much better off using the peas. There is some thought that rolling your foot can cause further damage. I know it's what PT's recommend but I stopped as soon as I read that the majority of people here thought it was not good practice.

I couldn't live without my bag of peas. I throw them into a pillow case and they work beautifully!

Re: what else can I try?

Joanie S on 9/09/03 at 12:08 (129280)

Thanks! Will try the peas, I'll try anything at this point!

Re: what else can I try?

Sue S on 9/12/03 at 00:09 (129688)

Another thing that works is freezing a small dixie cup and massaging the bottom of the foot in a circular motion with the ice frozen in the dixie cup. It usually helps my foot feel better.

Re: what else can I try?

HilaryG on 9/12/03 at 05:50 (129696)

You can also try Active Release Techniques (also called ART). I had PF for 20 yrs and am now pain-free thanks to ART. Nothing else worked for me and the doctor said my feet were too flat for PF surgery. ART is practiced by a small number of chiropractors. Look at the websites activerelease.com and drabelson.com for more information and a provider-finder. Good luck.