Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

4 1/2 months post-op tts/pf

Posted by JoAnn M on 9/08/03 at 02:45 (129100)

Hi,I had pf/tts surgery on 4/29/03,have posted here a few times since.My question is,how can my pain be getting worse instead of better?If 2/3 of the fascia is cut,why is first step pain getting more excrutiating every day?does the sharp,tearing pain in the outer bottom of my foot(where I assume the remaining fascia is)mean that it should be cut too?I am taking Neurontin for the tts pain,i am actually having less'zinger' type pain,but the inside of my ankle 'stings' all the time,is this from the nerve too?I have lost my job,thank god my husband is understanding.I am using the compression sock,and have begun using the 'boot' which my doctor gave me after surgery for a large portion of each day.My tts scar is a huge keloid mass,it turns bright red and then purple by the end of every day.Minor things like eating too much salt seem to make the pain increase.My doctor said I am the worst post surgery case he has ever had.Wow,I guess my simple question turned into a ramble,sorry!Mostly,I am wondering about still having so much first step pain if fascia is cut.I will be getting some input from another doctor as soon as I receive insurance cards from my husbands job,my insurance was lost along with my job.Thank You in advance!

Re: 4 1/2 months post-op tts/pf

stella on 9/13/03 at 17:03 (129881)

wow i feel ur pain. I had tts release on may 22nd and my pain is worse. I still have no feeling in my heel totally numb and tingly. I was on vicodin and codeine for the first 3 months now i am on ultram and just got evail. I lost my job as well cause the 12 week rule on medical leave. I have no money cant work still cause i cant walk. I still have to use the walker and i can only put weight on the top of the toes which are red and sore. Burning sensations like??? So i understand. I hate the fact that i can not walk still. I have a big scar too its ok but yes some purple i would say along it. I did get a second opinion she is sending me to get an MRI. She thinks i might be developing RSDS now :( its always something. But she recommended some physical therapy which my other dr wasnt. I hate all of this its so frustrating. I cant even make rent. I have not been able to get help from social security or public aid for food stamps or anything. But hey hang in there

Dorothy on 9/13/03 at 21:29 (129928)

Stella ~

It sounds as if you are having a very, very difficult time. It is not my intention to pry into your business, but if you have been out of work and can't get any assistance from public aid or social security and can't make your rent - HOW are you going to live? HOW are you going to go to physical therapy? HOW are you going to do whatever it is you will need to do regarding possible ?RSDS? and the MRI and anything else that you may need? Maybe you receive unemployment income....You have mentioned that you live with your boyfriend and that your mother pays your rent or helps you with your rent. Do you feel that there is security in that arrangement?
I know none of this is my business, but your notes are always worrisome and - as I said once before - I find myself worrying about you when you write and things sound so dire.

JoAnn M on 9/14/03 at 01:52 (129949)

Stella,I know you like many others understand what I am going through.I have to say,my husbands support has made a big difference,at least I am able to to depend on him so much.I hope you find an answer soon,maybe finding out what causes your symptoms will help you find a way to manage it.I seem to be in a place where if I sit around and elevate my feet,the don't swell,but they hurt all the time.If I go and do a little house work or shop for groceries each day,they don't hurt all the time,just at night so I can't sleep,and my first-step pain is almost too much to bear,so I have to decide which is best.I think maybe my scar tissue is 'sticking' some how,right now I am waiting for insurance cards from my husbands job so I can speak to the doctor about it.Please remember,if you need someone to talk to,we are all here,you listen when we need you to,we will listen and support you too!GodBless and goodluck!

Dr. Z on 9/14/03 at 09:36 (129953)

The pain is from the lateral band. I have a patient with exaxtly your same pain level and problem. I am going to place the patient in an AFO brace. Talk to your new doctor about this. You may want to tape your foot while waiting for your next visit

JoAnn M on 9/14/03 at 22:01 (130040)

Dr.Z,what is an AFO brace? Taping does help,being overweight is probably a big factor.Hopefully, I will have insurance cards by next Friday,will be seeing new doctor who may be able to help,I hope.Thank you for your time.JoAnn

Dr. Z on 9/15/03 at 20:50 (130133)

This is an ankle foot orthosis. It is made by langer lab