Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Chiropractors and Physical Thearapist

Posted by john h on 9/08/03 at 11:34 (129126)

We have a legal battle going on in Arkansas between Chiropractors and Physical Thearapist. The Chiropractors have sued a Licensed Phyiscal Thearapist saying he cannot treat a back in a certain way. Only they can do that. The Chiropractors sent an undercover guy in with a supposed back problem to a Physical Thearapist and he said the thearpaist 'cracked' his back and the Chiropractors say only they can do that. Even if an MD sends a patient to a Physical Thearapist the Chiropractors say that only they can do certain things to the back. It is in the courts.

Re: Chiropractors and Physical Thearapist

Kathy G on 9/08/03 at 15:21 (129166)

This should prove very interesting, John - and it will probably drag out for years! If Arkansas is anything like NH, many of its chiropractors are somewhat hostile regarding physical therapists as they feel that they should receive the same amount of respect and compensation as the latter gets. Some of our chiropractors make inflammatory statements and cause legitimate, good practitioners like the one I go to, great frustration.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/08/03 at 18:45 (129194)

john:

Do you have any of the specifics? I know that one of the battle grounds between the two professions concerns 'high velocity' adjustments (the kind of adjustments that are likely to make the 'cracking' sound).

I am not a fan of such turf battles as I see both sides at fault. The good practitioners generally focus on what they are good and refer patients to others with better expertise in the area of need rather than trying to dabble in unfamiliar areas.

Ed

R C on 9/08/03 at 20:24 (129212)

Well, something sure smells like hypocrisy, because much of what chiropractors typically do could be considered physical therapy (i.e., beyond spinal manipulations) -- and that requires licensing/certification, too.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/08/03 at 23:14 (129234)

RC:
Chiros do a certain amount of physical therapy, massage, massage that isn't massage (ART), even foot orthotics. Physical therapists get into some areas like diabetic woundcare, an area which is somewhat far from their training. There is a weekend course in foot orthotics for physical therapists. At some point the public is placed into position where they must seek out the most qualified provider to perform a service and that involves doing some reading and looking at websites like this.
Ed

R C on 9/09/03 at 21:55 (129390)

Ed: All of that is fine. But if a chiro wants to sue a PT for doing spinal manipulations, that chiro better not be doing physical therapy.

BGCPed on 9/10/03 at 15:36 (129471)

There is a big fight in the orthotist/pedorthist groups. the pt want to provide afo and orthotics saying that there are not enough orthotists to go around. They can bill for time as well as the device. They can also bill for time while making adjustments.

the pt lobby is getting very aggressive. I think they need to keep doing what they do and not be so cash hungry. If CPed and CO started doing lower extremity therapy the Therapists would freak

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/10/03 at 16:00 (129482)

BG:

The PT lobby has been very aggressive but in some situations hospitals and HMOs have utilized PTs as multipurpose midlevel practitioners doing everything from diabetic feet to spinal manipulation. Holy smokes, we have people selling orthotics at fairs and retail stores for a quick buck. Those who are truly competent providers should not try to compete with those individuals by lowering the quality of their products. If anything, some reasonable certification process needs to be created, a process that tries to ensure quality and let people know exactly what they are getting.
Ed