Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS again?

Posted by Carol M. on 9/09/03 at 20:36 (129375)

So glad I found this message board! My story, short version I hope! Had spiral fracture of tibia, fracture of fibula, and shattered ankle in 1985. Doctor did a closed reduction with a 5 degree offset. In a cast for 3 months, then PT for almost a year. Because of the 5 degree offset, my foot is not correctly lined up with my leg. I started having pain in my foot, went to a podiatrist and he said I needed bunion surgery. Had that, felt better for a little while. Then more pain in the ball of my foot, x-rays showed that from walking 'wrong' I now had a sesmoid bone that came to a point. He recommended removing the bone and said I'd be numb there for the rest of my life. Numbness sounded much better than pain to me so I had that surgery. No numbness, and the pain never went away. Pain started going from my ankle all the way up the bottom of my foot, burning, tingling, the works. Doctor now says I have TTS. Had an EMG then surgery. Felt great for quite a few years after that. Well, now the TTS seems to be back with a vengence. Went to one orthopedic surgeon, he recommended something that would go in my shoe to relieve pressure. Went for a second opinion, this doctor took x-rays, said there was lots of arthritis where the bunion surgery was done and also in my ankle. Gave me a cortisone injection that helped for 2 days. Went for follow-up appointment and he tapped on the tarsal tunnel and the pain shot up my foot like lightning. Sent me for an MRI to rule out TTS, haven't heard back from him about the results on that yet, and now I'm having an EMG on the 17th. He gave me a cortisone injection in my ankle and it made my entire foot numb for 24 wonderful hours. The next day, pain as usual. I was given Mobic, can't take it. I go back to him on the 22nd but in the meantime I'm not sleeping because of the pain. He refuses to give me anything for the pain other than the Mobic which even though he said is the best tolerated, it doesn't agree with me. He also had me try the Lidocaine patches at night, what a joke. They were more annoying, feeling that cold slimy patch on my foot, than helpful. Does anyone take anything for pain at bedtime, like Percocet or Vicodin? I can get by during the day but at night the pain is unbearable. Tylenol PM and Excedrin PM do nothing. I've even tried Benadryl just so I could get some sleep. I knew this 'short' version would turn out to be a novel, but I'm glad I found somewhere to go online where people would understand what I'm going through.

Re: TTS again?

Sharon W on 9/10/03 at 21:08 (129529)

Carol,

I know what you mean about nighttime being so much worse than day. I think a lot of it is because at night there is so much less to DISTRACT us from the pain...

I took Mobic, too, for a little while. It doesn't work worth a diddle... upset my stomach some, too. Never tried the Lidocaine patches although I would LIKE to... I asked my doc about them and she sent me to another neurologist (NOT what I wanted!!) Sigh. It is always so hard to find the right medicines to take for nerve pain, and the right doctors, too. John h posted recently that only 3% of doctors are currently being taught pain management in med school, and I think that's awful because it is patients in pain who pay the price for their ignorance.

Anyway, nice 'chatting' with you even if it is rambling on about medicines and doctors and such. Sometimes it helps just to 'vent' our frustrations a bit -- I'm sure you know what I mean!

Sharon

Carol M. on 9/11/03 at 14:52 (129613)

Sharon, it's so good to know others understand what I'm going through. My husband also said that it's probably worse at night because I'm finally off my feet and not being distracted. I just feel bad because I keep him awake too. I'm hoping for some answers on the Sept. 22nd which also happens to be my birthday. Finding some relief would be the perfect gift! I have a feeling that I might be heading for a 2nd TTS release surgery and if so, I'm hoping to hold off on that until after the New Year. My youngest son is graduating from college in December and we have a 6 hour drive just to get there. It's been so long since my first surgery that I honestly can't remember how long it took until I could walk again. I hope you find answers with the other neurologist and they prescribe the Lidocaine patches. Sometimes what doesn't work for one person will work for another! Good luck, and thanks for listening to me 'vent', I sure needed to get it out!

Carol

Sharon W on 9/11/03 at 20:39 (129656)

Carol,

Any time! And you are right, in fact almost ALWAYS, if something didn't work for you there will be somebody else that it worked out for just great. It's what is so interesting about people, I guess, that we're all so different -- but when it comes to treatments for foot problems it would be nice if we were more the same so doctors would know exactly what to do...

Sharon
;)

Terry D. on 9/12/03 at 22:00 (129804)

Hi Carol,
Ask you Dr. about neurotin and elavil. I had terrific pain and those drugs eliminated it until my surgery.
Terry

wendyn on 9/12/03 at 22:32 (129812)

Carol - you have had A LOT of surgery!!! I couldn't tell from your post - was it different doctors who did your surgeries, or the same one?

Stacey on 9/13/03 at 18:11 (129893)

I have TTS-yeah terrible at night-Lidocaine does not help me. Nuerontin makes the Walking Dead. Vicodin gives me relief.
Good Luck
Stacey

Carol M. on 9/14/03 at 16:14 (129990)

Wendy,it was the same doctor, a podiatrist, that did all my surgeries. I stopped going to him because I was pretty much pain-free for a few years. This time I went to an orthopedic surgeon instead of a podiatrist. I'm hoping he'll find some other way to treat TTS without surgery. He did say that one way to correct the way I walk is to re-break and re-set my tibia. I honestly don't want to go through that, it's been 18 years since I fractured it. Probably would open up a whole new string of problems anyway with learning to walk with my foot straight, so I don't think it's worth it. Hoping for the best when I get all my test results next week!
Carol

Carol M. on 9/14/03 at 16:17 (129992)

Stacey, I've taken Vicodin before, gave me great relief after my surgeries. I don't know why my doctor refuses to give me something for pain relief at night. None of the OTC pain relievers will even take the edge off. Believe me, I've tried them all!
Carol

Carol M. on 9/14/03 at 16:18 (129993)

Terry, thanks! I'll ask him about them. At this point I'm willing to try anything!
Carol

Dorothy on 9/14/03 at 19:30 (130005)

I'm wondering if some good training in meditation techniques might be worth exploring - especially to help at night when the pain has you all to itself because you're not distracted. It is being found to be helpful for people in great pain from other conditions so maybe worth considering?

LINDA H. on 9/16/03 at 10:59 (130207)

I MYSELF HAVE GONE THROUGH CONSERVATIVE AND ANYTHING LIKE NATURAL CONSERVTIVE FOR 6 MONTHS...I HAVE NOT HAD TTRELEASE YET, DUE TO GO IN ON 22ND, I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO WORK...THE PAIN HAS BEEN SO BAD, I CAN'T PUT WEIGHT ON MY HEEL AT ALL AND CAN'T CARRY ANYTHING AND WALK, I WORK 12 HOUR NIGHTS ON CONCRETE FLOORS AND HANG MATERIAL ALL NIGHT...PT HELPED A WHILE...AND NOW I AM IN PAIN AGAIN...MOSTLY WHEN TRYING TO SLEEP...I HAVE FOUND NOTHING TO HELP WITH PAIN...EXCEPT ICE...AND WHEN YOU GO TO BED WITH ICE...IT ISN'T ICE VERY LONG...BUT I DO GET SOME COMFORT ENOUGH TO GO BACK TO SLEEP...SORRY...I AM NOT MUCH HELP...I DON'T LIKE TAKING ALL THE MEDS THEY GIVE ME , NOR OVER THE COUNTER DRUGS...BUT I DO TAKE CELEBREX NOW...HOPING TO GET OFF THEM. STRETCHING AND ICE HELP...BUT ONLY TEMPORARILY.

Re: After TTS Surgery

Glenn Druhot on 9/26/03 at 21:22 (131203)

I had TTS surgery about 2 months ago and I still have pain in the same foot. It seems as though the pain that I was experiencing prior to the surgery (predominately on the inside of my foot) is now gone. BUT, I still have painon the outside of the foot that shoots up my right leg. Has anyone else had a similar problem???