Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by MaryB on 9/10/03 at 14:27 (129459)

I am thinking about getting EWST for my heel pain. Been thru 5 shots, taping,treating for 1 1/2 yrs. I may have to have have an ICD implanted for Ventricular Tachycardia. Would I still be able to have this EWST done, or is there a problem? Maybe have the treatment before the implanted ICD?

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

Scott D. on 9/10/03 at 14:35 (129460)

Mary,

Usally having an ICD put in is not an elective procedure. I doubt that anyone would do ESWT if there is a history strong enough to indicate that you need an ICD either. Doing the ESWT with an ICD in place is not a problem as long as the proper precautions are taken. However, you would need to wait at least 6 months under our protocol to have this done.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

dr ben pearl on 9/11/03 at 21:25 (129662)

There is a urology group at UVA that did much of the FDA saety reseaearch with lithotriptors and ICD's. The extremity is even less risky than the kidneys which were deemed to be safe with the right
application protocols i.e. timing the shocks in the proper sequence with the heartbeat. I agree, get the non-elective procedure 1st.

DRBP