Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Scar tissue formation after epf

Posted by Juby on 9/10/03 at 15:24 (129463)

Does anyone know if the scar tissue thats sometimes forms at the surgery sight will ever go away. I have been thru physical therapy (ionto phoresis with no improvement. It's been 10 months since the surgery. HELP!

Re: Scar tissue formation after epf

Dr. Z on 9/10/03 at 15:34 (129469)

Where is the scar tissue. Are you have the same pre-surgical pain . Are you having pain when you first step in the morning or after sitting for any length of time?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/10/03 at 22:31 (129542)

Juby:

If it has been 10 months and you are still in pain, you need treatment. How do you konw that the problem is scar tissue though?
Ed

Juby on 9/11/03 at 13:30 (129591)

The scar tissue started three weeks after each EPF. Three DPM's have confirmed that it is scar tissue, also an MRI. Nobody wants to give any advise on what to do next???

Juby on 9/11/03 at 13:37 (129593)

I still have the same pre-surgical pain, except now I have pain the first step in the am (never had that before the epf) the scar tissue tightens up during sleep/rest. The scar tissue is just above the medial insertion of the planter fascitis, on both feet, boy was I blessed.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/11/03 at 16:15 (129627)

Juby:

One potential method to decrease scar tissue is via injections of hyaluronidase and triamcinolone actetonide (must be used sparingly).
ESWT has been used successfully after such surgery.

Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/11/03 at 16:33 (129631)

Consider using the injection I listed above or ESWT.
Ed

Juby on 9/11/03 at 16:44 (129633)

I already have been injected with wydase two times, no improvement. I've been through ESWT twice for each foot before the epf's. Does ESWT help break up scar tissue?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/11/03 at 16:59 (129634)

ESWT can help with the scar tissue. Can you please describe how the pain feels?
Ed

Juby on 9/11/03 at 17:56 (129637)

The pain is constant dull ache most of the time in the lower arch . When I am on my feet standing/walking(1-2 hours) the pain gets more intense, sometimes a burning sensation when I really over do it. I just completed 10 iontophoresis/w ultrasound PT treatments last week, not even a slight hope of improvement.My DPM wants to wait another 3-5 months to see if the scar tissue will go away on its own, do you think that will happen?

Rose on 9/12/03 at 18:35 (129776)

I wear the boot to bedd and then I have no morning heel pain at all. I had surgery two months ago. I am completely pain froo for hours each morning if I wear the boot. The night splint would do the same thing, I would think. I just happen to have a boot. If I do not wear the boot for several nights the pain starts coming back more and more.

Rose on 9/12/03 at 18:36 (129777)

I wear the boot to bed and then I have no morning heel pain at all. I had surgery two months ago. I am completely pain for for hours each morning if I wear the boot to bed. The night splint would do the same thing, I would think. I just happen to have a boot. If I do not wear the boot for several nights the pain starts coming back more and more.

Rose on 9/12/03 at 18:37 (129778)

I cannot have a cortisone injection. The doctor tole me to roll a small rubber ball under my foot often to break up any scar tissue from forming.

Juby on 9/12/03 at 19:03 (129780)

Doctors, I have been doing some research on scar adhesions and was wondering if any of those scar barriers(AdconR or intergel) would be beneficial for scar tissue in the feet. Thanks

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/12/03 at 20:01 (129791)

Juby:

Hard to say. To what extent have your orthotics been readjusted after surgery?
Ed

Juby on 9/13/03 at 15:30 (129877)

I just had my 7th pair made during PT, none of the other ones have given me any pain relief.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/13/03 at 19:51 (129912)

Juby:

Most topical scar treatments are for thick scars on the surface of the skin and don't effect internal scar tissue.
Ed

Juby on 9/15/03 at 08:54 (130053)

The scar barriers I was reading about are for internal scarring, so organs or soft tissue don't stick together. They put on the surgical sight before closing the incision, and disslove a few weeks later, to prevent scar adhesions. Have you heard of this techinque.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/15/03 at 14:18 (130082)

Juby:
I am not familiar with that.
Ed

john B on 10/21/05 at 17:57 (185364)

ESWT does not treat scar tissue from surgery! It is not indicated in cases that surgery has been perfomred already, the success is very low in those cases. You should consider alternative causes of your heel pain, eg nerve entrapment of baxter's nerve.