Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Leadership According to GWB

Posted by Dorothy on 9/10/03 at 16:33 (129487)

This is a statement that George W. Bush made to the National Security Council and I think it is stunning and chilling: 'I'm the Commander, see I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President {I} don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation.'

This Republican administration, like some other Republican administrations before them, seems to have little love or appreciation for what America is about. How can they purport to protect and defend what they don't understand?

Re: Leadership According to GWB

marie on 9/10/03 at 17:00 (129493)

Dorothy,

I will openly admit I do not like the man. It's more than just politics it has to do with the types of comments like you shared in your post.

The man scares the bajeebers out of me.

best wishes, marie

Dorothy on 9/10/03 at 17:09 (129497)

My bajeebers are also long gone. I want my bajeebers back - and soon!

Best wishes to you as well.

marie on 9/10/03 at 18:34 (129507)

I am very uncomfortable with anyone who swings from one extreme lifestyle to another. I mean no disrespect to our president but there are certain personality traits that would have anyone with a keen ability to observe these types of personality traits grave concern.

For the record...I never voted for Clinton or Carter. This isn't about politics. This personality trait is something I lived with most of my life....not me personally but three family members. I know it when I see it. Take it or leave it as it makes no difference to me. I can always tell....it amazes my other family members as to how I can do this...it's just a lifetime of observation up close.

It scares me because I have a strong feeling that I know this behavior all to well.

So there you got my feelings and I am happy that I have them. Call it gut instinct...something I do listen too.

wendyn on 9/10/03 at 18:53 (129510)

I don't know that I ever had bajeebers. If everybody else has bajeebers, then I would like them too...if nothing else - just so I can lose them again.

Can you get fake bajeebers?

They can give you fake everything else.

Did you know you can get butt implants now? And calf implants? Can you imagine letting someone cut open the back of your leg so you could put fake muscles in there? Ouch.

marie on 9/10/03 at 19:18 (129512)

OUCH!

Bonnie D on 9/10/03 at 21:36 (129533)

Dorothy and Marie, I think you have really got it right about liking/disliking a president. I like GWB, so I am alot more open to his speeches, leadership, foreign policy, etc. But I know when I don't like someone (ie Clinton) everything he says and the very sound of his voice sends me up the wall. I think this is a gut reaction which underlies even the ideology, leadership, whatever. It can change though. I was a huge Clinton fan when he was elected. It was over the years I came to dislike him. And I didn't vote for Bush, but gradually post 9/11 came to like him. Friends of mine hate everything about him and I just don't get it. I think its just that hate you're talking about.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/10/03 at 21:48 (129536)

Bonnie:

Like you, I did not vote for GWB but have become very impressed with his honesty and dedication. Some of the hatred for GWB coming from the left is incredible and without any rational basis that I can see.

Honesty is a trait I admire whether it comes from a conservative or liberal. I admired conservatives like Barry Goldwater for that as I admired liberals like Eugene McCarthy and George McGovern for that trait.
Both Clintons are dishonest people and if I was a liberal, I would have quite a few rants for those two.
Ed

Phil on 9/10/03 at 22:08 (129537)

Dorothy:

Please provide the entire quote and source so this can be verified. That is a snibbet taken out of context and is very unlike anything President Bush would say.

There is a pendulum effect in history. The Democrats get the country into big trouble and the Republicans have to come along and clean everything up. The Democrats promoted slavery and the first Republican president ended it. The Democrats allowed power to concentrate in the hands of monopolies and a Republican, Teddy Roosevelt came along and broke the monopolies up. The Democrats allowed large portions of the world to come under the grip of Communism after WW2 and the Republican administration of Eisenhower had to take a stand to stop the spread of the Reds. The Democrats got us deeply involved in Vietnam and the Republicans got us out. The Democrats, under Carter, virtually sank the economy but the Republicans under Reagan gave us one of the longest stretches of prosperity seen in recent history. The Democrats under Clinton ran down the military and national security leading to 9-11 and a Republican is now rebuilding our defenses and national security.
Phil

Bonnie D on 9/10/03 at 22:09 (129538)

Exactly. It's not rational, it's a 'gut' reaction. I feel that way about Hillary. I can't stand her but have no rational reason.

Dorothy on 9/11/03 at 00:07 (129558)

I've been spending time trying to nail down this quote in response to your request; I've had it in two different forms for over a year - same quote, two different people sent it.
What I have found is this: 'In The Washington Post excerpt from Bob Woodward's new book on Bush....' and that it is a direct quote of a statement that Bush made to the National Security Council. I will keep trying to pin it down better for you.

Dorothy on 9/11/03 at 00:31 (129559)

'Meanwhile, various Bush administration officials are attributed with quotes and feelings that Woodward claims are the result of his receipt of more than 50 sets of notes covering National Security Council meetings...'

This appears to be the source of the quote - Bob Woodward (Washington Post editor in chief)had extensive interviews with GWB and all his advisors and cabinet for Woodward's book, Bush at War, AND he reportedly had all those notes from the National Security Council meetings - and that is apparently where that quote came from. GWB was fully cooperative with Woodward for the book.

That's the best I can come up with. As I said, I have it from two different mailers and both said 'President George W. Bush to the National Security Council.' This further cursory research appears to show that Woodward had those notes and quoted them in his book Bush at War or in interviews about his book. I don't know the date of the statement; maybe the Woodward book has it. I will continue to try to locate it more firmly.
I did find it referred to in MANY places, but not with a full and complete citation - yet.

Dorothy on 9/11/03 at 00:56 (129560)

Now I will stop with this search to respond to your question. The following is taken from an interview with Bob Woodward in which various journalists posed questions to Woodward about his book Bush at War. The following question addresses the quote:
Springfield, Va.: Good afternoon,

Probably one of the most striking quotes to come from the president in your interview with him was his comment about not having to explain himself. My fear is that he not only thinks this about his staff but with the American people also. He rarely places himself up for examination by the press and rarely speaks to any group that is not scripted. Am I misreading him?

Bob Woodward: First, his comment about not owing explanations was directed at his war cabinet at a time when he maintained he was provoking them intentionally. I agree that the president should speak more often, to more people, more openly, and answer questions at length. I personally can't complain. But I think it's critical that he do this. At the same time, if you examine the public record on Bush and look at his public statements over the past 14 months, which I have done, you find that by and large he's telling or hinting at where he's going. For example, after signing a secret intelligence order instructing the CIA to destroy bin Laden and effectively kill him, the president went public, and said, 'I want him dead or alive.' He couldn't have been clearer. And Mrs. Bush told me in that interview that she thought he was over the top and needed to tone down his rhetoric. And said she told her husband, 'Tone it down, darling.'

Bush At War
With Bob Woodward
Assistant Managing Editor, The Washington Post
Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2002; Noon ET

**Note that Woodward's correct title is here also which I misstated before, although I thought he was the Managing Editor now - maybe not.

Rick R on 9/11/03 at 07:37 (129568)

It's allways a bit amusing to me when a politicial blunders or makes some asinine comment how we like to attribute the behavior to their party affiliation. It becomes ammo for the other side to attack and reenforce their aversion to the other. Let's face it our alleged leaders on both sides have grown a bit too big for their britches.

Rick

Sharon W on 9/11/03 at 09:01 (129577)

As far as dishonesty goes -- I detest Ted Kennedy. He is one of the reasons I finally went from Democrat to Republican.

Sharon

john h on 9/11/03 at 11:48 (129583)

How many of our Leaders from either party are politicians because they want to do good for our country or because they like power, prestige,etc?

marie on 9/11/03 at 12:12 (129588)

I very much agree with you. I would like to point out my feelings about GWB have nothing to do with politics. I have a similar feeling about Ted Kennedy. It's not politics as much as personality. I really try not to slam GWB. It's just sometimes when ya meet someone the red light of caution goes off and ya figure out this is not someone I really want to get to know.

My red light saids scarey.

marie

Rick R on 9/11/03 at 13:48 (129594)

It's easy to think that this is a new or unique phenomenom. World history is full of power hungry egomaniacs(duh). I guess it comes with the territory. I think we still have the greatest system of checks and balances to offset that side of human nature, but obviously we are not immune. I have used the example of Thomas Jefferson in this regard. Planter, archeologist, inventor, musician, and of course statesman, President, even politician. Insert Franklin, Adams, Madison and so on. Somewhere down the line it seems we started to breed our leaders for the position rather than select them from the ranks of successful contributors to society. Kennedy, Bush, Gore, come to mind. Either way, there is and was an elite class from which most of our leaders have come from. At least our system has allowed for a few dirt poor individuals to rise to the top. Somehow I think the odds are a bit worse these days for a 'Lincoln' sort to rise to power.

BTW, I didn't intend to imply that the list of founding fathers doesn't also include a few transgressors, smuggling, slave holding and sexual escapades that would do Clinton proud among a few.

Rick

Re: GWB~~~~ THANK YOU PHIL, I agree with you completely !!! (NM)

Necee on 9/11/03 at 14:14 (129600)

Necee

Dorothy on 9/11/03 at 14:17 (129602)

I understand what you are saying. There is something also pathetic about him, though, as well as shameless.

Dorothy on 9/11/03 at 14:27 (129606)

A whirlwind and highly skewed view of history, yours, but you can read history in any way you choose. You could probably find a prosperous career in the contemporary world of P.R. and politics. Spin and Dissemble is a good firm that does work for both parties; you would, obviously feel most at home in their Republican World View branch, but they do a healthy business for both Democrats and Republicans.
I do agree with you on one point: history does seem to act like a pendulum impelled by one extreme then another while always trying to stabilize itself somewhere in the center.

Dorothy on 9/11/03 at 14:36 (129609)

Yes, there is a lot in what you say and what Marie and Sharon have said about the 'gut reaction'. I always thought there was something schmarmy about Clinton, phoney, manipulative, dishonest - gut reactions early on.

marie on 9/11/03 at 15:22 (129618)

Phil we could go back and forth and give examples of failings in both parties until the end of time. I try my best to keep an open mind to good people in either party. And I don't intend to get into the good guy bad guy debate with anyone. I think the example that Dorothy gave in the original post was more of a personality trait. In my lifetime of experience I have come to conclude that yelling doesn't make you right it just makes you loud, rudeness doesn't make you right it just makes you rude and that respect is something that you give not demand. I consider these basic concepts to be of vital importance to anyone that is in a leadership position. Of course bootcamp officers are exempt. ;)

marie

Re: Dont forget this one Phil......

BGCPed on 9/11/03 at 15:43 (129622)

Was it not good old LBJ that turned Social Security into a 'general fund' ? Meaning it could be tapped into to pay for all those great social programs of the 60s. Programs that fixed all the social problems 40 years later?

marie on 9/11/03 at 15:45 (129623)

I think it would certainly take a certain kind of personality to want to be president. I know I wouldn't want the job...ok stop laughing. I do think some are power thirsty but not as much as say a ruthless dictator who once is in power remains because of his/her brutal personality. I try to make my decisions about who I vote for by their job record. I try my best to leave personal failings out of it except when it involves a sexual relationship outside of marriage...while in office it's even worse or alcohol and illegal drug abuse and anyone that has a record of being AWOL or criminal record. Maybe the job is so tough that this is all we can attract. I admire Colin Powell and I had hoped that John McCain would run. I just like him....I am able to keep my bajeebers when I listen to him speak and the same with Powell.

marie

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/11/03 at 18:03 (129639)

Only when he is sober.
Ed

Rick R on 9/11/03 at 18:14 (129644)

I generaly am a one issue voter, the constitution of the United States of America. I loath those that seek to destroy it. Those that would deprive minorities or anyone else of equal protection, cripes even women. I respect multiple views of contraversial issues. I guess in this world that places me in the Libertiarian camp often Democratic camp and Republican camp for different reasons and different people. Mr McCain lost me with 'campaign finance reform'. I will not support an errosion of the freedom of expression. All the 'stuff' we protect under a broad deffinition and we won't let a collection of private citizens express an opinion close to election time? While the media be it CBS and Dan Rather or FOX and O'Rieley with all of their power? That's an assualt on my constitution.

You want finance reform, how about we do something real to stop another administration from accepting contributions from the greatest major long term threat we have left on the planet? That's not an issue I guess.

How about tossing out the 4th and 5th ammendments in the name of the drug war. Without due process, the feds can and do seize property at will without sufficient cause to file charges let alone get a conviction.

Rick

Re: Rick do you think

BGCPed on 9/11/03 at 19:15 (129649)

That the equal protection clause is being tossed out in regards to the affirmative action case at UM ? They used to count 20 extra points for being a certain skin tone on entrance exam. I understand they cant do it that way so they want the student to write an esay on how diversity has affected them.

Assume you are one of the many that doesnt believe in that system do you write your true feelings or do you write a glowing feelgood piece filled with all the buzzwords you know the person grading wants to hear.

Just wondered what your take on that was

Re: Rick

wendyn on 9/11/03 at 20:26 (129652)

Rick!!! How are you!?!?!? I still have your phone number! I am having issues getting things done in my life.

BGCPed on 9/11/03 at 21:35 (129663)

You gotta love the name of his yacht. Is called the 'put out or get out'

rim shot please

Dorothy on 9/11/03 at 22:05 (129667)

Are you referring to China?

Dorothy on 9/11/03 at 22:06 (129668)

Is this Clinton's yacht??

Dorothy on 9/11/03 at 22:18 (129673)

Only when who is sober??

BGCPed on 9/11/03 at 23:02 (129687)

Well if Clinton had enough class to own one. No it is the name of Ted Kennedy's. Remember if Teddie drove a bug in the 60s he wouldnt be the fourth rate hack he has become. Hope you are all old enough to remember that vw was supposed to be air tight and float....get it?

Rick R on 9/12/03 at 06:52 (129698)

Yes I am.

Rick

Re: Rick do you think

Rick R on 9/12/03 at 06:56 (129699)

Amen. How about the thought police? If I beat the tar out of you to steal your wallet it's one thing but if someone can presume based on your sexual preference, religion, race that I had hatred in my mind, then it's a different crime? I understand the need to do something to stop the harassment of innocent folks for no other reason than beligerence, but what a line we have crossed.

And by the by diversity on campus does not apply to diversity of thought. Regardless of ones position, it has been well established that what is refered to as conservatism is profoundly underrepresented.

Rick

Rick R on 9/12/03 at 07:01 (129700)

Wendy,

I hope the issues aren't troublesome ones. Feel free to call any time. I'm pretty much out of town from tonight to next Monday. I'd hate for you to call and wonder what the heck happened to me. Some play but mostly work.

Rick

wendyn on 9/12/03 at 22:29 (129811)

Rick - no nothing troublesome. Just taking on more than I can handle (nothing new there). Usually staying busy keeps me out of trouble - but it doesn't seem to be working lately. Not here, not at work, not at home. Oh well.

Almost started a scene at Wendy's tonight. A group of young men behind me in line (looked to be in their mid-20's). One of them was relaying something that happend today and it was 'F this and F that and I can't F'n believe it'. I can put up with a lot - but he was more than old enough to know better.

Without thinking I turned around and stared him down with a look that actually stopped them all cold. I have no idea if he knew what my problem was but it shut him up long enough for me to get my food (they may have just thought that I was psychotic). I once heard that profanity is the effort of the ignorant to sound forceful. He needed a good smack upside the head with a thesaurus. The loud public use of profanity has become a real peeve of mine lately. I tell my kids that this why I don't let them swear around me. It's not because swear words are evil mysterious words that hold some great power - it's so they don't become so ingrained in their language that they're not even aware that they're using them.

And how are you?