Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

non-heel pain??

Posted by Gary G on 9/10/03 at 19:32 (129514)

I have a situation on my left foot where during exercise..principally running in softball... severe pain sets in periodically between the 3rd and 4th toe.... in the metatarsal area; it is cramp-like at first and if I continue to run on it, it will turn to sharp pain and be even more painful to walk on. If I stop...it will subside over 10-15 minutes... but remain sore and prone to recurrance. My metatarsals are 'flat' and I wonder if the symptoms are suggestive of any specific malady... and more importantly.. where I might go in search of more information on remedies. Any assistance or ideas would be extremely helpful! Thanks

Re: non-heel pain??

BrianJ on 9/10/03 at 20:32 (129526)

Hi Gary --

You might want to go to a podiatrist and see whether you have an interdigital neuroma. This is a condition where tissue presses against a nerve and causes pain. The condition sometimes shows up in athletes and in women who wear pointed-toe high heel shoes, because the toes get squeezed together and put pressure on the nerve.

Please let us know what the doctor says. Of course, you can also do a search on the internet to get more information.

Re: non-heel pain??

Dr. David S. Wander on 9/11/03 at 08:04 (129572)

Gary, I agree with Brian J. You may have a 'Morton's' neuroma or other causes of pain in the area including a stress fracture, capsulitis, etc. Regardless, you should have it evaluated by a professional at your earliest convenience.