Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Numbness

Posted by Terry D. on 9/10/03 at 21:06 (129527)

Hi everyone,
I am now 4 months post op and doing quite well. No pain, swelling, can walk well and even jog a quarter mile. But I stll have lots of numbness on the soles of my feet...just like before the surgery. I can feel sensation in most areas if I rub a pen on those areas. So I beleive the nerves are regrowing.
My question that I'd like some help with is for those of you that had numbness....how did the feeling come back and in what stages...time wise etc.
Thanks,
Terry

Re: Numbness

Carol D. on 9/11/03 at 11:31 (129581)

Terry,

Hi. I am 3 months post-op and am also curious about numbness. Mine is limited to the bottom of the middle toe and some small areas on the ball of my foot. It hasn't seemed to change much. I am biking and doing some walking, but my foot feels tired after about 1 hour of steady use. I am still on 25 mg Vioxx. Do you have a guideline for how much to challenge your foot so as to 'build up' strength vs. resting it? At least all of the pre-op pain (burning, electrical zingers etc.) has gone. Good luck.

Re: Numbness

Terry D on 9/11/03 at 20:19 (129650)

Sounds like you and I are progressing about the same except I have more numbness.....but I had all this numbness before surgery too. My incision still is tight but each month I can tell it's getting better. Tonight I jogged 1/2 a mile plus biked.
I had to be on my feet for 5-6 hrs......at 3 months. I'm a football coach. My foot was a little sore so I like you went on vioxx. It helped me.
I also stretch every day. Usually twice and I ice each evening for 20-25 min.
Keep my posted on your recovery. And good luck.
Terry