Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Fallen Metatarsal Arch

Posted by Kristy B. on 9/11/03 at 13:51 (129595)

I am guessing that my metatarsal arch has fallen. I have pain just below and centered between my second and third toes. I cannot put pressure (weight baring or w/ my fingers) on that area of my foot nor can I flex my toes in an upward motion. The area is slightly swollen.

I do not recall doing any thing to cause this to happen. Could you give me some causes as to why my arch would fall. It has happen on my other foot in the past but it rights itself after a couple of days, is there anything I can do to force it to go back into position?

Thank You,
Kristy B.

Re: Fallen Metatarsal Arch

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/11/03 at 15:52 (129624)

Kristy:
The description you have given explains the symptoms you may be having but is gernerally not totally accurate from a functional standpoint. The first metatarsal (the knuckle behind the big toe joint) is generally responsible for carrying about 50% of the weight across the ball of the foot. When it fails to do so, weight is transferred to the 2nd and 3rd metatarsals so they become painful. Orthotics with good midtarsal joint control generally help this considerably.
Ed