Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cortisone shot

Posted by robin j on 9/11/03 at 22:54 (129685)

I HAD THE SHOT TODAY AND IT THE PAIN WAS UNBEARABLE!! I LET OUT A SCREAM THEY COULD HEAR THROUGH OUT THE BUILDING. IT STILL DOESNT FEEL ANYBETTER. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE? THE DOCTOR HAS ME GOING BACK IN 2WKS, AND MENTIONED MAYBE ANOTHER SHOT?? IF THE FIRST ONE DOESNT WORK, WHY GET ANOTHER ONE? AND IS IT SAFER, OR BENIFICIAL TO ASK FOR THE PILLS??
THANK YOU

Re: cortisone shot

Kathy L on 9/13/03 at 10:11 (129839)

Robin, I'm so sorry to hear about your pain. Find a new doctor or physical therapist. They should have told you about a new method of giving you cortizone, with a iontophoresis process. I had it, it is painless, and it did the same as a shot. But some pain came back in about 2 weeks.
Cortisone can be drawn in through the skin with a mild electrical current, this is the iontophoresis process. My physical therapist gave me the iontophoresis treatment, the entire visit and treatment only cost me $27.00.
Cortizone is not a permanent fix, it only encourages your body to heal. If you continue doing things to damage the PF, the pain will continue. Probably best to walk on your head.

Sher A on 9/13/03 at 20:27 (129923)

I've had the shot before too and nearly passed out from the pain of the shot. The side of the heel is a very sensitive place. They then strapped my foot up to some kind of current. It was expensive and I think the shot would have been just as effective without it. After, it was ok, but 2 weeks goes fast, and it was right back to square 1. I've had my custom made orthotics 3 weeks now and my heels are still as sore as ever, and doctors, while knowing just how painful it is, won't medicate you properly for it. I am utterly frustrated. I loved to walk. I am about to the point of considering amputation because I can't live with the pain. I'm going to opt for the cortisone pills next time. I just hope the dr. knows what kind to give me.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/13/03 at 23:23 (129941)

Robin and Kathy:

Iontophoresis allows much less of the active medication to enter the area than a shot and it thus must be oft repeated. The most important thing to remember is that the shot does not have to be painful -- a painful shot is simply a sign of poor injection technique.
Ed

JM on 9/14/03 at 20:25 (130013)

I have had PF since late June and am just about healed, but it still is tender the touch and hurt to the touch after a few short 3 mile runs I did a couple weeks ago. (I am a runner and run about 30 miles a week.....or at least used to) Anyway, my question is...should I go back to the foot doc and ask for a cortisone shot to get me over this little hump? It seems to have made LITTLE PROGRESS the last month and I REALLY want the tender to the touch stuff to be gone before I start really running again. Or, should I see about going to PT and learning how to tape it correctly so I won't injure it all over again. I should get my new orthodics in about a week and I have purchased a new pair of running shoes in hopes that I will be back in the game soon. I REALLY miss running! And, if the cortisone could help get me running sooner...I am game.

Aly on 9/15/03 at 11:45 (130069)

I don't know the answer to your query JM, but I have to pipe up and say be careful at this stage! I was so close to being healed a year ago, and overdoing it on 2 occasions did me in. It's a year later and I still can't handle more than 5 minutes on my feet. Just wanted to warn someone who's so close to being over this, not to get too excited too soon & push ahead. Good luck!

Re: cortisone shots

Dr. David S. Wander on 12/17/03 at 13:05 (140141)

Dolores,

Cortisone injections can often give dramatic relief. The injections are basically treating the symptoms and not the cause of the problem. Your doctor should also be addressing other mechanical issues to prevent recurrence. The cortisone injections are safe, but should be limited to 3 injections in one area in one year. Multiple cortisone injections can weaken tissue and cause atrophy of the tissue. Hopefully the injections will have long lasting benefits for you.