Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lieberman

Posted by john h on 9/12/03 at 08:26 (129704)

Marie: As you know Wesley Clark is from Little Rock so I was very familar with him before he got into politics. His job in the military as head of NATO was very much a political position. His problem, which I do not think he could ever overcome, is being from Arkansas. You can almost hear Jay Leno start with the jokes about another Arkansas President. He has two strikes against him before he even makes up his mind. On the Democratic side my choice would be Joe Liberman. I think he lost his compass when he ran with Gore. He stopped being Joe Liberman and tried to be Al Gore. I think he is an honest man with good intentions. I may not agree with him but to me he is the best of the group.

Re: Lieberman

Sharon W on 9/12/03 at 08:34 (129705)

I did like Joe Liberman but I think his associated with Gore has tainted him. (I used to like Gore, too, before the election...)

Sharon

Sharon W on 9/12/03 at 11:12 (129709)

What I meant to say was, 'I did like Joe Liberman but I think his ASSOCIATION with Gore has tainted him...' Sorry. I seem to be making more and more typos these days.

Sharon
:'>

marie on 9/12/03 at 14:02 (129724)

Thanks for your input. All of the sudden I started hearing information about Clark and was interested in finding out more about him. I like Leiberman myself. I don't think he tainted himself at all by running with Gore. I found out more about him because of that. It certainly will be an interesting election year no matter what. It doesn't surprise me a bit at how many Democrats have put themselves into the arena. They see a need for leadership in the party and are going for it. I made a decision to keep an open mind and try to look at each individuals ideas. I am staying away from opinion polls and editorials. I will be visiting each candidates site to take a closer look at their views.

Thnks again, marie

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/12/03 at 14:28 (129728)

john:

Lieberman, I beleive, claims to be orthodox yet takes somewhat of a liberal view on a number of social issues (eg. abortion). How does he reconcile the two?
Ed

john h on 9/12/03 at 18:43 (129779)

Ed: that is why I have a problem with strictly labeling someone Lieberal or Conservative. All Liberals do not believe in freedom of choice and all Conservaties do not believe in pro life. I would surely be labeled Conservative by most people but their are some views that are considered liberal that I agree with. You find very few military personal with liberal views. Why is that? Why are the majory of those with liberal views on the coast? Why are the mountain states mostly Republican and conservative. The solid south was once totally Democratic and now solidly Republican. Why is that? It appears to me that the Democratic party has been slowly moving to the left over the past 40 or so years. It will be interesting to see who the Democrats choose as thier candidate this year. Since their are some real opposing views among the candidates it will give us a sense of where the party is going. No one has even mentioned possible VP's for the Democrats. That will be real interesting. This may be what Generaly Clark is really positioning himself for. The public most definitely wants someone strong on defense and Clark being a former General in charge of NATO might be a good selection for this position.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/12/03 at 19:31 (129786)

John:

I agree with you completely on the labelling issue. Nevertheless, when it comes to religious beliefs, there is some expectation that an individual who considers himself an orthodox Jew or a fundamentalist Christian will generally hold views on social issues consistent with the tenets of their religion. Of course, everyone is free to interpret those tenets as they please but the concept of 'orthodoxy' or 'fundamentalist' generally implies strong adherence to religious 'law.' I am not judging Lieberman on this issue but am looking for his manner of thinking in this area.
Ed

D.Thomas on 9/12/03 at 21:30 (129798)

Dr. Ed,

Give it a little time, knowing Liberman he will change his mind and take the other side.

marie on 9/12/03 at 21:52 (129801)

I was thinking the same thing that you were. I had wondered if Clark was positioning himself for VP. I think it is a strategy that may be most inviting to the Democrats. I found him to be an intereting person...very well educated and knowledgable about security. He has thrown a spark into this.

I'm not fond of labeling. I've always been such an independent person it's hard for me to commit to one group or another. I do consider myself for the most part to be Democrat but have and will continue to vote for Republicans that I feel serves the best interest of the people.

I didn't even like it when people told me I was a hippi. I thought 'huh!'

marie

john h on 9/13/03 at 10:17 (129841)

Do not disagree with you Dr. Ed. I think the Orthodx and Fundamentalist in our country represent a very small segment of our nation. I do not look at them in the big picture. Most of my friends in high school were Jewish as we lived in a Jewish neighborhood on the norhside of Chicago. None were Orthodox. A few of the girls I dated had grandparents from Europe and were Orthodox and we always had to make sure they did not know their granddaughter was going out with a Christian. In the Middle East I do think the fundalmentalist represent a very large segment of the population. When we have any religion, any group, who think they and they only know the way to heaven there will be trouble.

Peter R on 9/13/03 at 10:29 (129845)

I totaly discount him because he has forgotten that he is an Orthodox Jew and compromised his beliefs for political gains. To be an orthodox Jew is to make a solemn promise- to break a promise is the mark of a typical lying politician. Joel Lieberman is a traitor to his religion and he will be a traitor to those who vote for him.

john h on 9/13/03 at 10:54 (129850)

Peter can one not change his belief. Can you not be an Orthodox Jew and change? My belief systems have changed over time as I read more, see more, and experience more. If Lieberman is changing his views for political reasons then he should never be elected to any office. I always suspects politicans have motives that are personal and not to do what is best for our country and people. People change all the time and often become religious and do things they would never do in their former life. Since they appear to have nothing to gain by these conversions I can only surmise they have really changed. I saw a very wealthy man recently donate his kidney to a total stranger. He now says he is willing to donate his other kidney if he finds a person that is younger and appears to have more to contribute to mankind than himself. He is a very educated, well spoken, lucid man with a family. His position seems to be that their are some lives more valuable than himself.

Peter R on 9/13/03 at 12:04 (129858)

One can certainly choose to change their belifs. I did. I was born into a orthodox jewish household and I chose not to follow that path. It is just too coincidental that this change occured with Lieberman at the same time he decided to enter politics. I made my choice very early in life not after I had lived as an othodox jew for the majority of my life. He cannot be
trusted.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/13/03 at 12:23 (129862)

Peter:

I am following everyone here. I don't want to get into the issue of labels but if a person makes a claim to a set of beliefs, ie. orthodox Judaism and then follows policies that go in a different direction, I , at the very least, would like to hear an explaination from that individual, especially if it is an individual in the public domain...
Ed