Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Islam and Democracy

Posted by john h on 9/12/03 at 11:17 (129710)

This week there have been several TV show discussing can Islam and Democracy co-exist. This is a powerful question. Certainly in some Islamic states as we now know them the answer is no. In America we have a strong distinction between the government and religion. In Islamic countries such as Iran the Clerics are the government. The way the Koran is interpreted by many if not most, Democracy and Islam cannot coexist. This may be the crux of the problem in Israel the only real Democracy in the region. If the Arab nations cannot get past the proposition that Israel has a right to exist then there will never never be peace. I would speculate that if you took a vote among all Islamics and posed the question does Israel have a right to exist the vote would be a resounding NO! How does anyone get past this? You cannnot.Some say this position is only the radicals. I disagree with this. I think the educated people in the Arab world for the most part recognize Israel's right to exist but the people on the street fired up by the Extremest and Al Gazar (TV spelling) are willing to do whatever it takes to destroy Israel. Make no mistake about this the American Govenment when push comes to shove will come down on the side of Israel. Democrats and Republicans alike agree on this. They all dance around the issue but Israel has been our friend and most of the Arab nations hate us.

Re: Islam and Democracy

Rick R on 9/12/03 at 13:13 (129717)

John,

Just for kicks try this on for size: Get into the wayback machine and dial back to 1516(I think the 95 Theses were posted in 1517). Now ask, can Christianity coexist with democracy? I'm not taking a position here, this just popped into my head and I'm still knawing on it. I'm reading a great book, on those rare occasions when I have any time, titled 'The Cousins Wars'. It is an attempt to tie a common thread between the English Civil War, American rev and civil war. That thread ties the motivations to both religion and other common cultural characteristics. We accept our separation to such an extent it's hard for us(me at least)to grasp not only other cultures but even our own history prior to that doctrine. I'm thinking too much it's starting to hurt.

Rick

Re: Islam and Democracy

BrianG on 9/12/03 at 22:01 (129805)

Hey John,

I think you missed a post that I directed to you. Either that, or your ignoring me !!!! :)
Go down to 9-11 @ 14:19hrs. It's about an air show.

BrianG