Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot pain

Posted by christines on 9/12/03 at 12:48 (129715)

I am a 22 year old female. I had bunion surgery on my right foot which went well and relieved the problem. I also had surgery for pf on both feet in july. My arches still hurt though and my feet are now sensitive over. I have toruble when i first get up int he morning and have sharp ian in my arch lke i did before the surgery, but now it is constant. From walking on my tip toes afeter surgery I developed neuroma(spelling?)--pinched nerves. My doctor has fitted me with orthotics which I find uncomfortbale (too hard and bumpy) and also not helpful. Stretches and physical therapy have not been successful either. Am I bound to have sore feet or is there something to do? My footwear is conservative, so I dont see that being the problem. I am not overweight and do not have any other health problems.Any insight would be greatly apprecaited!

Re: Foot pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/12/03 at 15:07 (129732)

christine:

The bunion surgery corrects a consequence of poor foot mechanics but does not correct the problem mechanics itself. The orthotics should do that -- see if your doc can improve on the orthotics. How were the orthotic impressions made?
Ed

christines on 9/12/03 at 17:27 (129763)

The orthotics were made with a foam impression made by the doctor manipulating my foot when sitting. They are a hard surface which is very uncomfortable, and have a bump in them for the ball of the foot for the neuroma. Are their certain types of orthotics that you favor over others? Are orthotics usually the answer to most foot concrns. I was assuming once i got the plantar fasciitis surgery, my pain would be gone and therefore, othotics would not be necessary. This seems to be the case for the bunoin concern.

Dr. Z on 9/12/03 at 17:43 (129768)

Non-Weight bearing casting is much better method for making orthosis. You will need to have a shock absorption material add to your present orthosis.
IT can take up to one year for your pf surgery to heal. When did you have the foot surgery

christines on 9/12/03 at 17:51 (129771)

I had the surgery July 18,2003. I have the sharp pain in the arch of my foot (which is wear I had it orginally before surgery) and I also often feel like my arch is 'ripping' or too tight. My pain is constant now as opposed to being on and off like it was before i got the surgery. What is used to treat the neuroma? I thought that the surgery would mean I would not have to wear orthotics. Is it normal to have to wear them after surgery? Is orthotics a temporary treatment to fix the problem or do you wear them for life? What can be done about the fact that my feet are sos ensitve to walking especially early in the morning. They seem to have to stretch back into place.

christines on 9/12/03 at 19:03 (129781)

oh and the type of survery i had was with the camera and a small incision on either side of the heel..does it still require a year for recovery.

christines on 9/12/03 at 19:05 (129782)

oh and the type of surgery i had was with a camera and a small incision on either side of my heel.

Dr. Z on 9/13/03 at 11:11 (129853)

Heel spur and or plantar fascia surgery can take six month plus to heal. Sometimes up to one year. Phyical therapy can be very helpful with your present pain
Local Alcohol injections can help with the neuroma pain
Taping instead of using the orthosis can help

christines on 9/13/03 at 19:00 (129901)

Does neuroma ever compeltely 'heal'? Can anyone reccomend shoes that are good for your feet?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/13/03 at 19:48 (129911)

christine:

You may consider seeking a provider that uses better methods for fabrication of orthotics. When the plantar fascia is cut, a supporting structure of the foot is sacrificed thereby making the use of orthotics even more essential -- something has to replace the function of the fascia.
Ed

Dr. Z on 9/15/03 at 16:09 (130098)

Hi

We are located in Woodbury, New Jersey. We are twenty minutes outside of Philadelphia. We are 90 miles from New York City. If you would like to have me evaluation your current situation just call Dr. Zuckerman at 1-856-848-3338