Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Israel and Palestine

Posted by john h on 9/13/03 at 10:41 (129848)

The problems in this area have existed since the Exodous. The greatest minds in the world have attempted to come up with a solution since Israel was formed. Here we are today with conditions more volotile than they have ever been. Is it any wonder that we have so many opinions on this issue. Israel is not going to move and the Islamics will continue to hate the Jews. I have no solution and I have no idea how this will end.

The atomic/nuclear weapon is a dreadful weapon but up to this point it seems to have helped maintain world peace. We have wars but not on the scale of WWII or WWI. We can be glad we are the nuclear power of the world and not Iraq or Iran. If Israel did not have nuclear capability today I do not think they would exist..

Re: Israel and Palestine

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/13/03 at 12:53 (129867)

John:

Maybe I am a foolish optimist but I always think there is a solution. I did not foresee an end to the Cold War but Reagan ended it (too bad some still do not give him credit). I know I will take flak for this but I am convinced that it takes a hawk to make peace. I don't think that a member of Israel's Labor Party could have signed the Camp David Accords --- people assume that a hawk is not giving too much away.

Only when Israel has taken strong military action to secure its borders and demonstrate the futility of further conflict to the Arab's will they see they advantages of peace. The Israeli government will need the courage to go against the will of the EU in taking such action.
Ed

Dorothy on 9/13/03 at 13:12 (129873)

Ironically, it is the Afghanis, the Mujhadeen, who do not get and who deserve a lot of credit for that change. We supported them.

Bonnie D on 9/13/03 at 19:37 (129909)

Ed, I agree with you. Unfortunately it's not just the EU but the USA also that Israel has to go against. If not for the USA Arafat and the PLO would have been gone in 1982.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/13/03 at 20:00 (129916)

Bonnie:
You are correct. There is somewhat of a division of thought in the US -- the State Dept. wants to deal with him and the Defense Dept. not.
Ed