Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Flash Mobs

Posted by marie on 9/14/03 at 10:11 (129957)

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,59518,00.html

I wondered if any of you have ever experienced a flash mob? The article above gives a bit of information on the new social activity.
The post below gives information about how to locate and participate in a flash mob.

http://www.flocksmart.com/

best wishes marie

Re: Flash Mobs

Peter R on 9/14/03 at 11:43 (129963)

Flash Mobs have existed in NY for a long time. Every time there is a blackout those who claim that they are victims of social deprivation meet at the local shoe, liquor, appliance, or sporting goods store and loot the premises. The police, puppets of the Liberals and handcuffed by Liberalism, fail to uphold the law and shoot the looters whose actions warrant capital punishment.

Dorothy on 9/14/03 at 19:52 (130008)

You are making a false and spurious association between criminals and the downtrodden. There is a difference. It would be worth your while to learn the distinction, lest you be viewed as an idiot.

BGCPed on 9/14/03 at 19:57 (130010)

Peter I must admit that is one angle I never considered. I would like to see a flash mob at a Victorias Secret store

Peter R on 9/15/03 at 06:44 (130046)

Dorothy, I believe you would change your Liberal tune if you owned one of the looted stores. A looter is a criminal no matter how 'downtrodden' they are. You're the kind of excuser every defense lawyer wants on a jury so that they can get their criminal back on the streets. I can just see Dorothy voting for acquital for the serial killer because he didn't have a color TV or a Playstation until he was 9 yrs old. That made him downtrodden and not resposible for his behavior. Dorothy says' Don't hold the looters resposible for smashing into the shoe store- After all they all deserve to take what they didn't earn from those who did earn it' How about it Dorothy- Would you excuse them if they looted your house or business- after all they are the downtrodden and disenfranchised. I can just see you pleading ' Not my house,why me I'm a Liberal, go loot the house or store of a conservative'

marie on 9/15/03 at 11:17 (130066)

Peter,

do you know what a flash mob is? It's not a mob of people looting a store. It's a fun get together organized on the internet. A group assembles at a location and does something goofy for about 3 minutes and then leaves. It's a game. They don't loot anyone....they're not criminals just folks having fun.

best wishes marie

Peter R on 9/15/03 at 14:58 (130088)

If you ever saw a mob looting a store in NY they fit the description- they assemble at a location, they loot in about 3 minutes, they leave and if you watched them they are laughing and howling and making it look like fun. I don't see the difference except that it is not preplaned. And they think that they are just regular folks and not criminals. But Liberalism has given birth to them and their destructive mentality. AND I'M SURE IF THEY SHOWED UP AT YOUR STORE OR HOME YOU'DE SHOOT THEM DOWN AND THEN BECOME A CONSERVATIVE.

marie on 9/15/03 at 15:27 (130094)

Well I can understand how you may get a flash mob mixed up with a gang of looters....and yes if someone threatened me I would shoot them.

A flash mob is a bit different....I don't think it's only for liberals it's for everyone. It's a sort of performance art. The main organizer for flash mobs in NYC goes by the name of Bill. They do silly stuff. You get your information off the internet via email. You get directions to go to a bar or whatever. There you get written instructions as where to go and what to do. One time they met at Toys-R-Us. The instruction was to get down on your hands and knees and worship the lego sculpture in the front of the store saying some goofy comment. Then everyone leaves. It all happens in about 3 minutes. I suppose that some events could be political if that's what you want but most are just for no reason what so ever ya just do it. I think it would be kinda fun just to see how many people would actually show up.

Well gotta go, marie

Re: Dorothy

BGCPed on 9/15/03 at 16:51 (130104)

Dorothy I was just wondering something. I usually agree with a large part of what you post. I wanted to know if you truely are calling looters during a riot downtrodden? If so could you please explain your reasoning for that.

Dorothy on 9/15/03 at 19:17 (130121)

Repeating what was said:

PETER wrote: 'Flash Mobs have existed in NY for a long time. Every time there is a blackout those who claim that they are victims of social deprivation meet at the local shoe, liquor, appliance, or sporting goods store and loot the premises. The police, puppets of the Liberals and handcuffed by Liberalism, fail to uphold the law and shoot the looters whose actions warrant capital punishment…..'

Dorothy wrote: 'You are making a false and spurious association between criminals and the downtrodden. There is a difference….'

Meaning: One category is criminal - that would be the looters. Looters are criminals. Thieves. Opportunists. Robbers. Criminals.

Another category might be called the 'downtrodden' or as Peter says, 'victims of social deprivation.'

There is a difference. One is not necessarily the other. The downtrodden, or ‘victims of social deprivation', and criminals are not necessarily one and the same.

The meaning is clear and can't be made any clearer by this writer.

However, it is fascinating that people of similar worldview to Peter's never seem to call the corrupt crooks on Wall Street or corporate boardrooms 'looters'; they, too are robbing the shoe, liquor, applicance, sporting goods store, and investors and employees. Category I: looters.

BGCPed on 9/15/03 at 21:00 (130137)

I guess I didnt get it. My definition of downtrodden would be perhaps a person with a legitimate mental illness. Say a Vietnam Vet that became a street person. One that is perhaps tormented by personal demons etc.

I was curious because I saw no mention of any person in that type situation, thats why I asked. I dont think it is fair to make a corelation between income and thievery. We all know many people of lower income and they NEVER steal or justify it.

Maybe it is part of our current trend to lower moral expectations? People want to 'get theirs' without effort. Many times it is even better to get it from someone else they deem as not deserving of it.

Remember the LA riots? You had Korean shop owners standing in and on their stores with guns to protect their lifes investment. These folks came here, live in the store and work 14 hours per day. What do they have to do with Rodney King, LAPD or whatever?

I think the people that loot and commit crimes during those situations are opportunistic scum. You dont become dishonest during a riot or blackout. You just take advantage of that situation. If you were not referring to looters as downtrodden I am sorry. I just didnt get the whole point.

PS I think the wallstreet shysters are scum also

Dorothy on 9/15/03 at 22:01 (130156)

You are right and as to your point about the Korean shop owners during that horrendous period of riots and barbarism, they were victims of criminal acts. I never did and never would refer to looters as downtrodden. It was not I who made a direct link between 'victims of social deprivation' (there actually IS such a thing in life) and criminality.

Dorothy on 9/16/03 at 02:41 (130176)

You have nothing to be sorry about. I think we were in agreement.
The world is in a very sorry state and I am very, very sad about it.

By the way, sometimes my point is hard to get, so you are not alone in your experience. But that doesn't make my point a bad one, as you know.

You take good care of yourself - but lay off Ann Arbor! :-)

So long - again~