Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot massagers

Posted by Sher A on 9/14/03 at 18:11 (129996)

Would anyone happen to know of a place to buy something to massage the feet with, or of a good product? I've seen a flat wooden thing (don't know what it's called) with wooden rollers that you can put on the floor under a desk, and roll your feet over them while you're sitting down. I just can't find anything like this anywhere. I live in the DC metro area and I've never seen any stores around here that carry good products for your feet. I can't even find the tape in a drug store or sports store anywhere. Any advice is appreciated.

Re: Foot massagers

Dorothy on 9/14/03 at 19:17 (130000)

You can try Footsmart.com for online products. You can go to WalMart for a handheld massager that has different massage 'heads' plus optional infrared; I bought one for under $10.00 and I think it's very useful.
WalMart also has foot massaging/water bath products with or without infrared options; those are under $30.00. Several posters here have spoken positively of the water massager/foot bath products.
I am sure WalMart is not the only place that carries these products, but I found them at WalMart. The manufacturer of the ones I am speaking of is HoMedics. I don't know where you might find the tape for foot taping (other than the duct tape that some people here do prefer - that is available anywhere), but since athletic tape is commonly used, I think it should be fairly easy to find. Try other sporting goods stores; try a runner's store... maybe those would have it OR be able to direct you to a place in your area where you could get it. Good luck.

Dorothy on 9/14/03 at 19:24 (130002)

It also occurred to me that you might call some physical therapy offices in your area and inquire about where to obtain the tape needed to tape your feet...yes?

Aly on 9/15/03 at 11:42 (130068)

Hi Sher,

I use a small, firm rubber ball, a little smaller than a golf ball (it looks like a mini tennis ball; I got it at the pet store in the cat toys section!)

I keep one by my bed, in the TV room, and under my desk at work. I roll my foot over it - nowadays I do a pretty intense massage with it - and I have noticed that the arch area is more supple / less tight feeling in general.

I recommend trying this before spending lots of money on a massager - depending on the type of massage you're looking for, this might do the trick. And it's under a dollar so if you don't like it, you won't really mind!

Kathy G on 9/15/03 at 15:17 (130092)

Sher,

Do you have a husband or significant other who would offer his/her services? My husband, bless him, gives the best foot massages in the whole world. We use some cheap lotion that we get at WalMart which doesn't moisturize well but is excellent for massage. He can tell just where my feet hurt, not by my loud gasps of pain, but just because the areas feel tight to him. Of course, in the beginning, the gasps probably helped him figure it out! :)

I seldom ask him to rub my feet but when he volunteers, and that's often, I certainly take him up on it! He doesn't even ask if my feet are particularly bad that day. I actually get kind of irritated with him when he asks me how my feet are and that's wrong of me and I know it. I guess I still hate to admit that they hurt quite a lot, especially at the end of the day. You'd think he'd say, 'To heck with her,' but bless him, he doesn't and I know how lucky I am that he is so patient. I think he's a keeper!;)

Back when I first stopped work because of PF, I used to roll my feet on a cold soda can but many on this board seemed to think I was probably doing more harm than good, so I stopped. I don't know how the doctors feel about it.

Sher A on 9/15/03 at 17:52 (130111)

Thanks everyone for your help! I'm fairly new to this pain, so I'll check it all out. I finally did find the athletic tape in a drug store, but it wasn't anywhere near the foot products; it was in the first aid area. I hadn't thought to look there/

Kathy, do you think I could pay your husband to rub my feet? :) You are so lucky that he actually likes to do it. When mine and I are sitting on the couch I just thrust a leg into his lap and he does the best he can with it. For maybe 10 minutes. He's in construction and treats it like a two by four. I even offered him $100 for an hour.

I need the massager badly at work where I am behind the keyboard all day. I've used bottled water bottles that I've frozen, and they're pretty good to roll my feet over, but I want something more 'permanent'. I think this is the best website there is for these awful foot problems.

john h on 9/16/03 at 10:31 (130202)

Sher: the Sharper Image had a great foot massager. It is not cheap but is as close to hands on the feet as you can get.

Re: To John

HilaryG on 9/16/03 at 15:20 (130237)

John- I went to the Sharper Image website and they have several different foot massagers. Do you know the name of the one you're referring to?

john h on 9/18/03 at 09:54 (130424)

Hilary: I will look at mine tonight. It not only vibrates but has the little fingers that provide a shusitu (spelling) type massage. They act very much like human fingers and can really provide a deep massage. I am thinking it cost on the order of $200 and that was about 4 years ago. It sits on a angle so when you are in a chair your foot are in good position.

HilaryG on 9/18/03 at 10:21 (130427)

Thanks John, I would really like to buy one, and your recommendation means a lot. Hilary

Re: golf ball?

charlotte on 9/21/03 at 18:07 (130637)

my podiatrist told me to put a golf ball in the fridge and use that to massage my feet...but i'm not sure, i remember reading somewhere that that can cause more damage...has anyone else heard this too, or has anyone tried using a frozen golf ball?

Re: golf ball?

Aly on 9/22/03 at 12:25 (130683)

Hello Charlotte,

I use a ball and love it - but I don't chill mine. I should think if you're trying to massage and break up scar tissue etc., you'd want more blood in the area, not less. I'd be more inclined to put the ball in warm water to heat it up... I've learned that for me, I never use my ball after icing my foot - it hurts! I would try different things for yourself, carefully, and learn what works best for you.