Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back of the heel pain

Posted by Brad M. on 9/15/03 at 12:07 (130072)

While playing soccer I was wearing a newer pair of shoes. They were too small, and we play on a hard surface. I would wake up in the morning with pain in the back of my heel, as the day went on it would feel a little better. After 2 days it was fine. After one game it was hurting like normal, but I didn't get to rest it. I was on my feet for the next couple of days, and that did it! I have had the heel pain ever since. It doesn't sound like plantar facia. It hurt on both sides of the Calcaneus on the back of my heel, there is no pain on the bottom of my heel, and my achillies feels fine as well. It almost feels like something is slightly torn just below the Calcanus in the back of my heel. I do triathlons and want this thing to get better! I have tried resting for 10 days and icing,and taking 2 advil before bed. It does feel better, but is not getting completely better. If I do bike or run it gets as bad as when I fist got it. Any thoughts on what it is, and what I can do help it.

Re: Back of the heel pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/15/03 at 18:54 (130118)

Brad:

Soccer shoes tend to drop the heel backwards and can be infamous for injuries to the area on the back of the heel where the achilles tendon is attached to the bone. There are a number of things to look at so start by getting an exam from a foot doctor.
Ed