Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What are the pros and cons with Active release therapy?

Posted by David B on 9/15/03 at 17:19 (130108)

I had ESWT 10 weeks ago and my pain is just as bad today as it was before ESWT. I am very dissappointed especially after how much it cost. I am desperate to have something done to help relieve the pain, I read on hear about ART and was wanting to know the pros and cons, and from a DR's point of view is there risks and what are they? Also, want to hear from patients that has had this procedure done.
Thanks in advance.

Re: What are the pros and cons with Active release therapy?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/15/03 at 18:09 (130114)

David:

The best I can determine from the online material is that ART is a form of massage. Very few specifics are included and that makes me a bit uneasy. I can see very little downside to massage therapy and there is potential benefit ( the ART website claims that it is not massage). A number of patients have found it to be helpful. You may want to use the search feature on this site to obtain a number of patient testimonials.

Keep in mind that ESWT treats one leg of the treatment triad so one must make sure that everything else is being addressed. In other words, ESWT is often not a stand alone treatment.

Which machine was used for your ESWT? What other treatments are you currently participating in?
Ed

David B on 9/15/03 at 18:22 (130115)

I believe they used the dornier machine at a high intensy level of 3800 pulses. The only other treatments I been doing are the stretching exercises, before I had the ESWT I did the night boot, taping, ice, cortizone injections. My dr is relative new to this procedure but im the 1st one that didn't have some relief within 2 weeks. I suppose to see him in another couple of weeks to decide if I want to have it re-done, if it is going to cost $5400 im not interested in having it re-done!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/15/03 at 19:01 (130119)

David:

Take the time to read Scott's Heel Pain Book in order to understand the full scope of treatment for plantar fasciitis. ESWT often takes more than one treamtent but I would expect a patient to see some improvement after one treatment. Attention is required for your biomechanics as that has a lot to do with the underlying cause. A second opinion may be in order.
Ed

David B on 9/15/03 at 19:32 (130122)

Ed,
I scanned over the heel pain book and I didn't realize all the things to do for PF. Im kinda worried about my doctor now cause he never even did a bone scan or a mri actually no xrays at all. Think I will get a 2nd opionion, or maybe it might just be easier to cut my foot off (just kidding). You can email me personally at (email removed)

shock man on 9/15/03 at 20:39 (130131)

your results are predictable..should have had the ossatron tx it is the
only high energy tx and the only one that works

Dr. Z on 9/15/03 at 20:54 (130135)

Could take another month if no relief and you do have insertional plantar fasciitis then a second treatment can help you get rid of your pain. It sometimes take two treatment. This is true whether it is the ossatron and or the dornier. I have used both and know understand both devices very well

Dr. Z on 9/15/03 at 20:56 (130136)

If you truely believed what you are saying you would tell us your name and address so that Dornier can contact you and explain exactly why the dornier is a class three FDA approved high energy eswt machine.

Scott D. on 9/15/03 at 22:02 (130157)

Dr. Z,

Don't even waste your time with this person, it's clearly note worth the effort!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/15/03 at 22:02 (130158)

Dr. Z:
He is not using his real name and is totally ignoring each time we have corrected his mis-statements. Hopefully he will have his jolleys and leave the board alone.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/15/03 at 22:06 (130159)

David:
A second opinion sounds like it is in order. ESWT is just too expensive to use when it is not used as part of a comprehensive treatment plan for PF.
Ed

Dorothy on 9/16/03 at 02:47 (130177)

Dr. Z ~ What a marvelous campaigner you are for ESWT and for truth and justice in the ultrasound way.

I don't know anything about Sports Illustrated, but did you know there is a regular writer for that magazine called Dr. Z?? Are you moonlighting?

So long, Dr. Z ~

Dr. Z on 9/16/03 at 06:45 (130181)

Cute/funny. I like your pro's

No I didn't know about Dr. Z the writer. Does he spell correctly when he writes in Sports Ilustrated. I will check it out. Maybe its may evil brother

Pamela S on 9/16/03 at 11:52 (130213)

I had ART, and I definitely found it helpful! I had long-term (over 2 years) plantar fasciitis, and the ART treatment seemed to bust up the scar tissue I had. I would highly recommend it, but be sure to find somebody who is certified in lower-extremity treatment. They are few and far between. Be warned, however, it is quite painful during treatment. It is not really massage.

Aly on 9/16/03 at 12:05 (130215)

Hi Pamela,

How often did you go? I can only afford (maybe!) to go once a week - does it need to be more frequent? I found a nice ART provider nearby & am going to start next Friday. Another thing to add to my long list of attempted PF cures...

Aly

David B on 9/16/03 at 15:09 (130234)

How much does it cost for ART? Also, how often do you need to go? One time treatment or more? The closest certified ART person is 90 miles away! I went to my chiropractor today and had some acutpunture done and ultrasound.

HilaryG on 9/16/03 at 15:24 (130239)

I highly recommend Active Release Techniques. It is the only thing that helped me. I went once a week for ten weeks. lucky for me, chiropractic treatment is covered by my insurance, so I'm not sure how much it would cost. But I think it varies from provider to provider. Please don't give up on it because it is painful. I had a lot of pain the first few wks, maybe even more than from PF, but the pain was different so I knew something was happening. And now I am pain free.

Aly on 9/16/03 at 15:59 (130244)

I got 2 quotes in the upstate NY area, one for $80/treatment, the other for $70. One of the doctors is giving me a deal of $50/treatment if I buy 4 outright. I'm going to check and see if my insurance will cover chiropractic first...

Re: To Aly

HilaryG on 9/16/03 at 17:21 (130265)

Aly, Where do you live in upstate NY (if you don't mind saying)? I live near Woodstock and my chiro is in Saugerties and he is wonderful. Hilary

Aly on 9/17/03 at 13:26 (130349)

Hi Hilary,

To a person living upstate, I don't live upstate at all - I live in Westchester County. It's actually the New Yorkers (city dwellers, that is) who consider my area upstate! It's about 45 minutes from the city by train.

I am very excited to start the ART - I just found out that the doctor I've located has hours as late as 10pm when necessary (!), and that he takes my Aetna insurance; Aetna will cover chiropractic visits (so that's what I'm calling them!) I'll only have to pay my $20 copay per visit instead of the $50 the doctor offered me. That means that I can go more often than once a week, if he thinks it's necessary.

I guess I'm becoming one of the resident guinea pigs for PF treatments - I seem to be trying everything lately. :) Wish me & my feets luck!

mike f on 9/18/03 at 18:41 (130481)

I LIVE IN THORNWOOD AND HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO DOES THIS ACTIVE RELEASE THERAPY. CAN YOU ADVISE WHO AND WHERE HE IS. MIKE

Aly on 9/19/03 at 08:32 (130513)

Hi Mike,

The chiro I've found that does ART is in White Plains, at 280 Dobbs Ferry Road. His name is Dr. Silverman, and his # is 914-287-6464. I haven't seem him yet, but have talked to him by phone a couple of times - he seems like a really nice guy. He's been doing ART for 2 years and specializes in the lower extremities.

Good luck!

Aly

Pamela S on 9/19/03 at 19:30 (130564)

I went for three treatments only (I think, but I can't remember, that they werre a week apart). However, I had already worked on my own PF with a golf ball, stiff massage to break up scar tissue, etc. for quite some time before I had ART. I also used personal foot-trainers.