Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

You're talking snow; we're talking hurricaine!

Posted by Kathy G on 9/16/03 at 10:22 (130199)

Actually, here in southern NH, we are just going to get some heavy rain and maybe some gusty winds, on Friday. But my sister in Annapolis is bracing for a hit if Hurricaine Isabel continues on its course. She lives on Chesapeake Bay and her house has not flooded in the thirty years she has lived there. She gets very nervous every time there's a hurricaine because she figures it's bound to happen sooner or later.

I am going to make sure my daugher, who is closer to the seacoast than I am, has batteries for her flashlight and some water on hand. They are more likely to lose power.

The wedding was this past weekend and the weather cooperated beautifully. It was cloudy earlier in the day but by the time of the wedding, 4:30PM, the sun was out and the sky was blue. Everything went well and naturally, I'm going to say my son looked very handsome and his new wife was beautiful. My daughter-in-law organized the whole thing by herself and she did a beautiful job.

I had booked a trolley for her as she wanted guests to be able to leave their cars at the hotel where the reception was and a trolley to bring them the half mile to the church, where parking was limited. It was really neat except that on the last route, he picked up only six people and left the rest of us standing on the stairs of the hotel! The attendants hitched a ride in the limo with the bride and groom and a van brought the rest of the guests. My husband and I were the last to arrive in our car as there was no room for us anywhere else! We actually held up the wedding for about ten minutes! When they called from the trolley company yesterday, I wasn't exactly nice about the whole situation! In retrospect, it was very funny. Of course, they could have started without us as the least important people in a wedding are the parents of the groom but it was nice they waited!:D

Re: That's supposed to be "hurricane"! nm

Kathy G on 9/16/03 at 10:23 (130200)

Re: You're talking snow; we're talking hurricaine!

Carole C in NOLA on 9/16/03 at 12:40 (130220)

It sounds like a lovely wedding! I'm so glad. What about shoes? It must have been hard to stand there waiting for a trolley with aching feet on your daughter's wedding day.

Take care, and I hope the hurricane doesn't affect you or your daughter.

Carole C

Re: You're talking snow; we're talking hurricane!

Kathy G on 9/16/03 at 16:34 (130252)

They've reduced it to a Category 2 storm so that's good for my sister. It may be bad for North Carolina though.

I wore my Josef Sibels and my feet were all right until the receiving line. Standing there and talking to 165 people seemed to take forever. All in all, though, I can't complain. I mean, my feet hurt today but compared to two years ago when I stopped work, they are good. Back then, I couldn't have done all I did the days of the wedding. I took the advice of a friend who has RA and rested a great deal for the week before and slept in until 9 or 9:30 each day. She told me it's all about pacing one's self and I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. I would never have thought of sleeping as late as possible but she takes frequent naps and since I am unable to nap, she suggested I do that. I think it probably helped me.

I did switch over to running shoes around 10:30 or 11:00. They looked really spiffy with my formal outfit! And I did manage to dance a few fast dances and a couple of slow ones. The wedding was much easier once the dance with my son was over with. I absolutely dreaded it. I can't think of anything worse than having everyone watch me dance---unless it was having to walk down the aisle, which was horrible, too. I'm not good at these things at all which was one of the reasons I had a tiny, tiny wedding. Luckily, my son feels the same as I and he asked the disc jockey to cut the song short when he met with him prior to the wedding. He and I both let out a sigh of relief and relaxed and enjoyed the rest of the evening once that was over.

And yes, I'm a terrible dancer but I love music --- and I dance all the time, when I'm all alone around the house. Seriously, sometimes my feet remind me that I shouldn't be dancing! I have some mean moves which no one has ever seen!:)) And yes, I did take a ballroom dancing class, years ago. The instructor remembered me as being the 'girl who couldn't figure out the foxtrot' when I called him with a question about the end-of-class event. That wouldn't have been so bad had there not been about 30 people in the class! I was a standout for the wrong reasons.

Sharon W on 9/16/03 at 18:01 (130269)

It sounds like a very lovely wedding, Kathy, feet and running shoes and all... I'll bet you're just bursting with pride!

And I am a terrible dancer, too -- I would have been terrified of that dance!

Suzanne D on 9/17/03 at 15:24 (130361)

I'm so happy the wedding was wonderful, Kathy! I do know about that standing in line talking to the guests as they leave the church. I'd never been on that end of receiving lines before, and the line does seem to stretch on forever, doesn't it?! :) Of course I was touched by all the guests who cared enough to come, but it was hard to stand that long.

We had about 250 guests and a nice reception but no dance (not enough room, and my daughter and son-in-law don't really enjoy dancing), so that got me off the hook on that one! I would have felt exactly as you did. We had nice music during the reception and good food, so hopefully everyone enjoyed themselves. I remember how nice it was to finally sit down that day.

Get some rest this week if you can!
Suzanne :)

Re: wedding, dancing, shoes, and more..... :)

Carole C in NOLA on 9/18/03 at 10:23 (130428)

It sounds like the wedding went really well, and I'm glad it did. :)

I can sure relate to your dancing fears! Last night, Frank and his 82-year old uncle and aunt took me to a dinner-dance club. It wasn't too crowded, and most of the members were very old, older than his uncle, I think. The band members were very old too, and played authentic big band music (some of the best I have ever heard). Frank and I don't really dance, so we enjoyed talking for a while while his uncle and aunt danced.

Then, his uncle very graciously asked me if I'd care to waltz with him. I couldn't say no to this handsome and charming elderly man! But that dance floor sure seemed big and I felt very nervous. I hadn't danced in 30-40 years. What made it worse, was that because he is so old and frail he didn't really lead at all. I was rather tentative because I was afraid of stepping on his feet, and I was trying to follow his non-existent lead. The waltz seemed very, very long and I was very, very clumsy. I survived (barely).

Although I really didn't do very well with the dancing, Frank's uncle is a remarkable man and I felt really honored that he asked me to dance. He said he thought I did well, considering how long it had been since I had danced. LOL

Glad to hear that your Joseph Seibels worked until 10:30 or 11:00. I suppose that could have been worse, and I'm glad your feet aren't TOO bad today. Last night I was wearing some very non-PF-friendly pumps, but other than the waltz we just sat the whole evening (thank goodness). Frank's aunt is very outgoing and a marvelous conversationalist. Frank's uncle is quiet but he was the fascinating one... telling me amazing stories about New Orleans and what it was like in the 1930's and 1940's.

After the dinner-dance it was pretty late, but his aunt suggested that we all go to Morning Call for beignets and cafe au lait. That was fun, too.

Carole C

Re: wedding, dancing, shoes, and more..... :)

Kathy G on 9/20/03 at 10:03 (130585)

His aunt and uncle sound like lively, wonderful company, Carole! I'm glad you had fun. My daughter-in-law's grandparents and great aunt and uncle were at the wedding. They range in age from 82 to 94 and they were absolutely amazing! Her grandfather, 94, did the Greek Dance but had to stop midway and sit down because he said, 'I think my heart might stop!'

It sounds like you had a wonderful time and have had a great vacation. I'm glad for you!