Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Pain after Achilles Tendon Repair

Posted by Asif H on 9/16/03 at 14:06 (130228)

I hope you can give me some insight on a problem I've been having.

In March of this year, I ruptured my right Achilles tendon in a sporting accident. Surgery was performed three days later to repair the tendon. I was on crutches for 10 or 12 weeks, and then began rehab.

The Achilles tendon itself seems to be recovering nicely. However, in the course of my rehab, I noticed numbness along the outside of my right foot, and very sharp pain in the outside corner of my right heel. There was no heel pain when I was at rest, but I'd get sharp pain when flexing the ankle. Nothing would get rid of the pain. An MRI revealed no structural problems (tendon, muscles, etc.) We concluded that there may be some nerve damage, possibly caused by the surgery.

Then, about three weeks ago, I stretched the leg in bed, felt MASSIVE pain in the heel, and then all of a sudden, the problem was gone! I didn't feel any pain in the heel, and I could walk normally, swing a golf club without pain,etc.

But then, just last night, I went for a light jog for the first time since the accident. With every stride, I felt 'pins and needles' in the entire foot. And this morning, the heel pain is back, at about the same intensity.

I know it's hard to make a diagnosis without seeing me, but do you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Asif H
Montreal, Canada

Re: Heel Pain after Achilles Tendon Repair

Dr. Z on 9/16/03 at 19:40 (130281)

Hi

It could be TTS. May be a shortening of the tendon . I would have a gait evaluation and biomechanical evaluation to determine the range of motion and funciton of your ankle joint. May need an orthosis and or a heel lift.
Maybe physical therapy depending on exactly what is going on with your ankle joint

Re: Heel Pain after Achilles Tendon Repair

Asif H on 9/17/03 at 07:43 (130316)

Thanks for the reply. In fact, the range of motion in my right ankle is quite restricted, as a result of the AT surgery. It's much better than it has been, but it's obviously not at the level of my other leg.