Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

small-fiber neuropathy and chronic plantar fasciitis

Posted by BevN. on 9/17/03 at 11:35 (130331)

Doctors,

Is it possible to still have ESWT for my PF even though I have bilateral peripheral neuropathy also ? I have been diagnosed with the neuropathy in my feet , ankles, and half way up to my knees, hands & wrists . However, I still have the chronic plantar fasciitis (2 years now) and the severe heel pain also. The one doctor I see says it is okay to try the ESWT if I wanted to however he does not think it would do any good. What would your opinion be ? Thankyou :) Bev

Re: small-fiber neuropathy and chronic plantar fasciitis

Dieter on 9/18/03 at 05:46 (130414)

Bev

What is the cause of your small fibre neuropathy?

BevN. on 9/18/03 at 14:25 (130461)

We do not know the cause of the neuropathy . I think, and I have read several articles that chronic plantar fasciitis can cause peripheral neuropathy . Has anyone else heard of this theory :-/ Bev

Bonnie on 9/19/03 at 19:25 (130563)

Bev, I have pf and pn also. Do you do anything for the pn?

Dieter on 9/26/03 at 06:42 (131112)

Bev

PF does not cause peripheral neuropathy. In some cases a nerve branch coursing along the bottom of the heels is irritated (mechanical irritation) this will produce symptoms sometimes mistaken as PF. The answer then is a surgical release of the nerve.

Dieter