Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A window into the brain

Posted by R C on 9/17/03 at 14:03 (130351)

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Re: A window into the brain

marie on 9/17/03 at 14:14 (130354)

Re: A window into the brain

Suzanne D on 9/17/03 at 15:09 (130358)

A friend of mine who is also a teacher received this as an e-mail and showed it to me earlier this week. I first thought that I had no trouble reading it because I have spent years reading young children's writing!

I find research about reading and aquiring language quite fascinating!

Suzanne :)

Re: oops!

marie on 9/17/03 at 20:03 (130383)

I guess that I can't use 'cool' because you have to have the first and last letter. 'Cool' would be impossible to do.

Kathy G on 9/18/03 at 13:05 (130445)

A friend also sent this to me. My question: How would this work if a person is dyslexic? I'm not trying to be facetious here, I'm really curious. Have dyslexics never seen the words in the correct sequence and thus this rule doesn't apply to them? Or is it because those of us who don't suffer from dyslexia have learned to read, seeing the letters in the correct sequence, and thus our brains automatically put them where they belong? I'm sure, if I were like Sharon, I would do research on this subject and I'd have the answer. But I'm lzay!:D

marie on 9/18/03 at 14:13 (130457)

I have a friend who is a teacher art in a nearby school district. She is Dyslexic. We often go to workshops together. I drive because new places get her confused. She is in charge of helping me navigate. She will tell me to turn left at the next right. I always go the wrong way because all I hear is right. We get lost alot but we always end up were we are suppose to be eventually.