Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot and ankle melanomas

Posted by Sharon W on 9/17/03 at 16:13 (130365)

Have any moles on your feet?

If you do, I hope you'll check this out:

...Or better yet, just have your doctor (or your pod) check those moles out, every now and then!

Re: Foot and ankle melanomas

wendyn on 9/17/03 at 22:49 (130401)

Weird Sharon - I had no idea. Where do you find this stuff!?

Sharon W on 9/18/03 at 06:44 (130416)

Actually, I learned that one because it happened to my daughter. Fortunately, the 'mole' she had between her toes on the bottom of her foot hadn't spread... and was only the early stage of cancer, so they 'got it all'. It is scary, though.

I wouldn't want melanoma to happen to anyone, here, if it could be prevented.

Aly on 9/18/03 at 12:37 (130441)

I've been hearing all sorts of stories about skin cancer since mine was diagnosed - I hope all of you will make it part of your yearly physical.

A woman I work with told me that last year her best friend had a tiny bump on her calf that occasionally bled when she shaved; she thought it was nothing but brought it up in passing to her doctor. The doctor decided to check it out - it turned out to be a symptom of stage 2 bone cancer! Her friend had a good part of her calf muscle & bone removed - all over a little bump that she thought was hardly worth mentioning. Having it checked out truly saved her life...

Kathy G on 9/18/03 at 13:18 (130449)

Great information, Sharon. Yes, the foot is one of the most common areas to get skin cancer. I made my daughter so paranoid about it that she asked both her Pod and her PCP about a freckle she's had on her foot since she was born! I knew it was harmless but she had to check for herself. At least I know she was listening to me!

I was concerned about a freckle/sunspot on my arm and asked my PCP about it when I went for my physical Tuesday. Come to find out, it's another hereditary condition I have, and I'll be darned if I can remember what he called it. It's not the proper name for what we call 'skin tags' as I have those, too. This was a different condition altogether. He said the sun had nothing to do with it and it's harmless. But it sure is ugly!

This is one thing I'll look up on the internet instead of waiting for Sharon to do it!