Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Rough day in NC

Posted by Sandra D on 9/18/03 at 21:53 (130492)

Today has been quite a rough day in NC. Our beauitful outter banks have been hit hard by Isabel. My husband and some of the men from our church were fishing there the first part of this week. Needless to say they were home by Wednesday night. I know what it is like to be in a hurricane. 'Hugo's' eye passed right over us. It was a fearful night. We never though a Hurricane could come inland 185 miles. We live near Charlotte, so we are about 31/2 hours from the beach. That includes beaches in both North and South Carolina. I have some friends in Raleigh and we have not been able to reach them at all today. Most of our power trucks have left for the beaches and for Virginia. Just thought I would post something that is not so political. Just interesting information from the east coast. Have a good night Sandra D.

Re: Rough day in NC

wendyn on 9/18/03 at 23:23 (130496)

Sandra - how awful! Makes me feel bad for complaining about the cold. We just have dead plants - but that would have happened soon anyway.

Peter R on 9/19/03 at 07:20 (130504)

I have never seen anybody forced to live where sme4es, hurricanes, earthquakes, brush fires, periodically devistate the area. Bulid your house on the beach and sooner or later the ocean will reclaim it. If you don't want your house reclaimed by inevitable natural forces don't live in that area. If you do choose to endanger yourself- spare me the tears please.

Richard, C.Ped on 9/19/03 at 07:58 (130505)

Take it easy Peter. This is the social/support board. People provide support with foot problems as well as other issues.

Kathy G on 9/19/03 at 08:13 (130510)

Your area was certainly hardhit. I can't believe the pictures of the Outer Banks! I haven't heard from my sister who lives on Chesapeake Bay since around 5PM last night so either her power is out or she is fine! I believe that by the time the storm reached her, it had been reduced to a tropical storm.

In southern NH, we are just having heavy rain and thus far, only light winds. They predict the winds only to go up to 40 mph so we really lucked out this time. People further to the west are getting it much worse.

I hope everyone gets their power back quickly and no more lives are lost.

Re: Peter

wendyn on 9/19/03 at 08:35 (130514)

Somebody feeling a little cranky this morning? :-/

Could be wrong here - but there are places where natural disasters are possible (it's a little place called EVERYWHERE).#-o

Even where I am (in the middle of no where) but a sme4, earthquake, or ice storm is always a possibility.

Can I come and live with you!?!?!?! I don't like it here in the winter anyway.

john h on 9/19/03 at 10:01 (130520)

Hey Peter what if you had an apartment next to the WTC? You cannot avoid all these things. It seems every day I see someone car drive through a house, struck by lighting, get west nile virus. or runover by a drunk. Life is a risk. I do agree about some things you alude to. There are areas along the Mississippi that flood about every other year and the houses are covered by National Flood Insurance. Some people build back knowing they house will be swept away again and they end up making money on this. There have been a lot of investigations into this. Why someone would live on the Outer Banks is a mystery to me. I must assume they get flood insurance which must be subsidized by us the taxpayers.

Peter R on 9/19/03 at 10:05 (130521)

I have winter where I live- real snowy cold winters. And why would you want to live with an old, self centered, cranky, inflexable, intolerant, horney recluse??

Peter R on 9/19/03 at 10:31 (130523)

First of all, I would never consider living in any big city. Most cities are significantly populated by species that have only recently stood on their hinds legs for the first time and who's primary goal in life is to prove that Darwin was wrong. This is evident by watching all the humans who work in these places evacuate the area in a mass exodus every evening. It reminds me of wilderbeasts on migration trying to avoid the crocodiles lying in wait for the unwary. I agree that there are risks in life but with a little forethought they can be significanlty reduced. I was refering to those areas that have a significant history of floods, brush fires etc that wipe out whole communities. A sme4 and a divorce in Arkansas have the same reuslts--
somebody loses a trailer in either case.

marie on 9/19/03 at 10:59 (130525)

My brother lives in Charlette. I am going to try to call after work. This is not the first time they have been through this. They have alot of trees around their place so I am a little concerned. In Indiana we have a nice cool breeze today. I am sure it is the result of Isabel.

john h on 9/19/03 at 12:22 (130530)

Not just a trailer but a double wide. Speaking of trailers there are some trailers located on the California coast overlooking the ocean that are not your fathers trailers. They sell for and if one could find one who would sell for $1 - $2 million dollars. There square footage was between 2100 and 3000 sf and the inside is just like you would expect for a $2 million dollar home. They did not say what the land rent was but I would bet it is some kind of expensive.

Kathy G on 9/19/03 at 13:14 (130534)

Your empathy and consideration are overwhelming. You are either a very bitter person or you're just trying to push some buttons. Oddly enough, sometimes you're quite funny. This isn't one of the times.[-X

wendyn on 9/19/03 at 13:35 (130539)

Peter - I have to admit I like you better than I did this morning.

To your list of self disclosures you may want to add 'abrasive - yet witty and honest'

Peter R on 9/19/03 at 14:11 (130542)

John- I doubt that any of those 'trailers' on the Calif coast ever had wheels on them.
Wendyn- I'll admit that on occasion my personality is on a par with 00 sandpaper. I am quite intolerant of human failings and I tolerate them in my self the least. I value friendships to the point that I will never ask a friend for a favor because I do not want them to have to lie to me if it is impossible for them to comply. As a result if I need any assistance with anything (rarely) I'll pay for the service.

Kathy- Have you ever been in St Louis, Detroit, Atlanta, or the majority of the outer bououghs of NYC after dark?

Kathy G on 9/19/03 at 16:13 (130550)

Oh heavens, Peter, no way in the world would I live in the city. I am one of those people who hates everything about the city. I live about an hour and a half from Boston and get there once a year, if that. I hate the crowds, the violence, the dirt, the traffic. I'll find my culure elsewhere, thank you. I'm definitely a country girl and proud of it!

But, I try to be understanding of people who choose to live in the city. And as for people who live near the ocean, like my sister, they are fully aware of the risks they run. As I said in my post on her dilemma, my late father, who loved going to visit her, often commented to me that he worried about her proximity to the water.

My comments to you were made just after I received the call that she had been flooded out and I apologize for being a bit nasty! As soon as I posted the message, I realized that I was reacting not to what you said, but to the news of her plight.

Suzanne D on 9/19/03 at 16:38 (130553)

Thinking of all of you in the areas being hit by Isabelle...It can't compare in magnitude, but a few years ago the river which is about a mile from me flooded, and there was much damage to a few homes and the church camp near us. Picnic tables were up in trees after the water went down, and other strange sights. It was a never-to-be-forgotten time.

Take care,

Suzanne D on 9/19/03 at 16:53 (130555)

...That should have been Isabel - not Isabelle. I have a little girl in my room this year named Isabella, so I had that spelling on my mind!

Suzanne :)

Peter R on 9/19/03 at 16:57 (130557)

When I was about 12 yrs old I was living with an relative in Stroudsburgh Pa. There was a tremendous flood that spring or summer( I don't remember the exact time of year). They lived on the side of a steep hill, near the top, but the next block down had water over the first floor of the houses. On the street where we lived the water ran about 3 feet deep and floated my uncles car out of the driveway and down the street.We found it 3 blocks away the next day, all the windows broken and full of mud to the dashboard. When the water in town subsided, the river was still roaring, we stood on a bridge over the Delaware and watched cabins, huge trees, and small homes float down the river and smash into pieces against the bridge. The Delaware is usually such a calm river that canoes have to be carried in a lot of places.

Suzanne D on 9/19/03 at 21:19 (130570)

It IS amazing the sights one can see and the damage that can be caused by flooding. Those pictures stay in your mind for years - like the scenes you are describing.

There's a big old iron bridge across the river near me which is many, many feet above the river during normal times. The water rose to about 3 feet above the floor of the bridge during the time I was writing about. I remember when we went to see it, standing there gaping with all the other 'locals' who had also come, seeing a raccoon clinging to the side of iron bridge. Lots of things were seen floating in the water, including a dead cow from somewhere upstream. A basketball goal at the church camp across the river was covered with water, and the main building which is on much higher ground had several inches of water in it. The local volunteer fire department was busy for many days after the water went down, using their ladders to get things dislodged from the trees. We could stand in our yard and hear the chain saws night and day.

Suzanne :)

marie on 9/19/03 at 21:36 (130572)

We had horrible flooding up about 8 years ago. Most of the flooding was in the next county which is just across the border in Ohio. I was working in Ohio and living in Indiana. The day before my neck ached so bad at school that I had to borrow a neck brace from the athletic director to be able to finish the day at school. I was barely able to teach I was in so much pain. The next morning my principal called me and said don't bother to come into work it's all flooded over here. She told me her house had become a tiny island with just a bit of land around the house and all the pigs from the farm next door swam over to her house as it was the closest dry land. She said 'I can't believe I am stuck on an island with about 14 pigs running all around what's left of the yard.' She was the best principal, but I still have this humorous image in my mind. After that I became known as the human flood barameter. We had a week off from school. This isn't a big flood area and the last flood was over 120 years ago.

best wishes marie

BGCPed on 9/22/03 at 20:51 (130736)

Hey Richard I heard a rumor that the Graham distillery was ok since it is up in the mountains