Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Breaking in orthodics

Posted by JM on 9/20/03 at 11:15 (130587)

I have worn my old orthodics for YEARS (only in my running shoes) but just got my new more flexible and expensive orthodics 3 days ago. I wore them for 2 hours the first day and 6 hours the second day. Yesterday I didn't wear them at all because my morning heal pain had suddenly come back and the edge of right foot (behind the baby toe) felt like something was rubbing. So, do I break them in slower? Do I go back to the podiastrist? I was hoping to start some shorter runs next week and if my PF will let me start getting my mileage back up starting the end of October. But, I have learned that this injury is taking a lot longer to heal than one hopes for or plans on....I fear it is cronic and will be with me for a REALLY long time.:( (It has been over 3 months) Would going to a chiropracter help? I have been ALMOST healed for about 2 months now and can't seem to get over the last little hump.

Re: Breaking in orthotics

Dr. David S. Wander on 9/20/03 at 12:35 (130589)

Why did you get new orthotics? Were your old orthotics causing problems? It is common for a break in period, but the new orthotics should certainly not be causing your heel pain to return. I would contact the doctor that prescribed the orthotics ASAP. I personally would return to your podiatrist, not the chiropractor.

JM on 9/20/03 at 14:58 (130593)

! got new orthodics because the ones I had were made for me when I was 14 years old and weighed about 90 pounds. I am now a healthy 142 pounds and have grown a few inches and had 2 children. My foot size is also about 2 sizes bigger than then. I am distance runner and the doc didn't say that I NEDDED new orthodics...HMO...but he said that he wouldn't run in rigid orthodics like that.(I don't think he is a runner, but he was just kinda hinting that they were maybe a source of the problem.) Anyway, I shouldn't have said that the pain has RETURNED. I would just say that the morning stiffness has returned...so I am going to start wearing the night splint tonight to see if that helps. I was just wondering the chiropractor could get me over the last hump to recovery. It is just tender to the touch after a long day being a teacher and mother. I was also thinking a corisone shot might help, but I will wait another month on that if the orthodics don't do the trick. I might need to get back into the doc, but I kinda feel like it is going to be a waste of time as he is NOT a sports doctor and the chiro that I would go to see treats a lot of sprots injuries with more than cracking your back.

Nan D on 9/20/03 at 16:12 (130596)

Hi JM,
The ONLY Orthotics you should be running in are the SDO's. They are are custom made with the most stable for support while running. Check the all the messages with the topic of SDO, ez runner or Dr Kiper. Actually his site explains the consept quite well. I am a runner too and hurt my foot last year. I tried numerous orthotics and the sdo was the only one which made any sense for foot pain, especially for runners. I'd be happy to talk to you about my experience. You do not want to chance hurting your feet after you've come so far!
Nan

JM on 9/20/03 at 19:17 (130601)

How do I know if mine are SDO?

JM on 9/20/03 at 19:52 (130602)

Sorry I see what sdo is. Thanks for the input. We will hope that the $$$I spent on these orthodics do the trick.

Dr. David S. Wander on 9/21/03 at 09:06 (130612)

Nan,

Yes, there are many doctors that will refund a patient's money if he/she is unhappy with the orthoses. I offer that and most of the doctors on this site also offer that to patients. If I have made several attempts to adjust or eliminate the problem with the orthoses and the patient still doesn't experience relief, I will offer a refund. My practice was built by doing the best for my patients and having a patient that has spent a few hundred dollars with no relief is not acceptable to my standards. Naturally, I'm not refunding money to patients after wearing the orthoses for one hour and not obtaining relief. If I believe a patient has been cooperative and has been patient and no relief is obtained, a refund will be offered. Fortunately, this has rarely occurred over the past 18 years. I consider myself very active/athletic and treat many sports injuries and although the SDO may be an excellent product (I've spoken with Dr. Kiper on the phone), there are many athletes and runners competing very comfortably with rigid orthoses, soft orthoses, semi-rigid orthoses, etc. It depends on the athlete, the foot type, the demands of the sport, the biomechanics of the individual, the weight of the individual, etc. It is too complicated to make a blanket statement that all runners should be using the SDO.

JM on 9/21/03 at 22:32 (130660)

I HAD TO SIGN A DOCUMENT SAYING THAT THE ORTHODICS MIGHT NOT HELP AND MIGHT EVEN MAKE IT WORSE AND THAT IT WAS NOT THE CLINIC'S RESPONSIBILITY. IT IS NOT MY DOCTOR'S FAULT THAT HE WORKS FOR A CRUMMY HMO. AND, HE ISN'T A SPROTS DOC. I KNEW THAT GOING IN TO IT. I JUST COULDN'T AFFFORD TO GO OUTSIDE MY HMO EVEN THOUGH THEY DIDN'T COVER THE ACTUAL ORTHODICS THAT WERE OVER $400. BUT, I WILL CALL HIM IN A WEEK IF I AM STILL NOT DOING BETTER...INFACT...IF I CONTINUE TO DO WORSE. BUT, I DID SIGN THE PAPER.
I WISH I KNEW HOW TO GET THE TENDERNESS TO GO AWAY. NOBODY SEEMS TO HAVE ANY ADVICE ON THAT.

BGCPed on 9/22/03 at 21:08 (130742)

Nan D I would respectfully say that the SDO is not the ONLY device a person should run in. You have had good luck with them but there are some other alternatives out there that work well.

I am the first to say there are many people making inserts that have no business doing it. JM did you get any idea of what foot type you actually have and what did your provider do as far as explaining shoe choices and measuring your foot? What model shoe do you have? What area are you in ,perhaps I can help

BGCPed on 9/22/03 at 21:17 (130745)

Do they charge for adjustments? I have never heard of a documents stating it may get worse and its not their fault. I guess that is anti-ambulance chaser stuff. There is no 100% promise with orthotics. There is also patient error regarding break-in, shoe choice and compliance. It is a partnership between the provider and the patient to clarify all expectations as well as proper evaluation of your footwear etc.

There are many places that charge a high fee and you get an assistant that hands you a bag with the device in it, that is wrong. A fee is a fee but for a standard orthotic I dont think any device is worth $400. I am not trying to get you into a conflict with your provider but they should bend over to make them work at that price they should not charge for a few adjustments.

Again I am not the fee setting God but I am just letting you know what the norm is for most facilities. Perhaps you can post a brief outline of what was actually done time wise, casting and what all they did regarding footwear evaluation etc.