Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Antoher orthodics question

Posted by JM on 9/20/03 at 15:14 (130594)

How come the arch feels higher on one foot than the other? I can really feel the orthodic on my right arch but not at all on the left. It kinda bugs me because I think...were they made wrong? Did I flex my foot when he made the caste of my foot? Or, is that just the way these new orthodics are?

Re: Antoher orthodics question

Dr. Z on 9/21/03 at 13:35 (130624)

Make sure they are in the shoe properly and that nothing is on the bottom. Remove any arch surpport material in the shoe already. If this is still going on and if they have been worn for at least two weeks have your podiatrist take a look at them

JM on 9/21/03 at 22:27 (130658)

Thanks. Yes, I have only the orthodic in there. I wore them again today and walked about 3 miles. My calves were kinda tingly and stiff and my arches stiff,and that little pain on the side of my foot was still there. I I wore my old orthodics the rest of the day am and feeling less stiff and better. I will break them in some more before I start to run. I will give it another week befoer I complain to my doctor.

Richard, C.Ped on 9/22/03 at 08:07 (130677)

Do you have flat feet? Were you tested for fore foot varus? I have found that if someone has fore foot varus and the orthosis is not properly posted for this, the arch will feel to high.
Richard

BGCPed on 9/22/03 at 21:02 (130739)

If the pain is on the outside border a few inches back from the little toe AND the arch feels too high could be opposite problem. Not trying to cconfuse just clarify

JM on 9/22/03 at 22:30 (130763)

yes, it is on the outside of the foot about an inch or maybe more from the baby toe. Today it didn't hurt as much, but I didn't wear the new orthotics for more than an hour or so. I just walked a little less than 2 miles in them.

I couldn't find your other post about how I got the orthotics fitted and all, so I will respond here to as much of your questions as I can recall. The doctor didn't measure my foot or watch me walk at all.He din't even look at my running shoes to see how the trend had woren down. He simply made a cast of my feet and told me he was going to order an orthotic made for distance runners. When they were back, the clinic called and I went to pay the balance due and the nurse handed me the bag with the orthotics. She said to break them in slowly and call if there were any problems. I am going to give it another week of walking on them and if my heel is not so tender, I might go for a run. So, we will see. When he made the cast of my foot, he said I would feel it in the arches. But, it is only on the foot that I don't have the PF that the arch seems high...this is also the foot that has the discomfort on the side of the foot behind the baby toe. I am just not in a big hurry to go back to the doc and pay a $20 copay just to have him not have anything to do for me. And, it takes forever to get an appointment.

dr ben pearl on 9/23/03 at 01:45 (130782)

Not unusual to need adjustments. One arch may be signifigantly higher on your foot
DRBP

BGCPed on 9/23/03 at 06:38 (130785)

I will say that adjustments are not unusual, that said this is what I am talking about when I say they are handed over in a plastic bag. You can ask him to adjust them but your footwear should have been evaluated or at least a list of proper shoe types OR sent to a good running shoe store. You may have too much correction, shoe too narrow, too much pronation control in that shoe, device too thick for the volume available in the shoe etc.

If you can post a few pics of your shoe, the device sitting on a desk fron and back views and your feet, bare front and back standing on a hardwood floor or tile I can give you some suggestions. You may also want to go to a running store first and see if the shoe is the problem. Too much correction under the arch and/or heel coupled with a pronation control shoe can pressure the arch.

It can make the foot want to 'slide' or twist at midstance and toe off creating a pinch or pressure in the area you are talking about. You could also have a degree of cavus or plantarflexed 1st ray that wasnt addressed. Not trying to confuse you just making a few suggestions.

p.s. I hope Scott doesnt mind when I request people post a few pics? maybe Scott can make a new area or suggest a certain one for pics of feet, shoes or orthotics to be posted in?