Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

debridement

Posted by Heather A on 9/20/03 at 17:22 (130598)

I am scheduled for debridement of the achilles tendon.Could you tell me a little about the surgery and what I can
expect in the way of post op recovery such as pain control,infection and how long I can expect to be off work?
I am a Nurse and there fore on my feet most of the time...thanks

Re: debridement

Dr. Z on 9/21/03 at 10:59 (130617)

This is where the remove the tendon from the back of the heel bone, next bone and disease tissue is removed. Some times you are are in a cast for ten weeks. The recovery can take up to one year.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/22/03 at 14:54 (130703)

Heather:
What is your diagnosis? What is the reason provided for the surgery?
While we are happy to answer questions about pain control and infection in general but each doctor has different protocols which yours should have expalined in detail to you. The fact that you are asking this here suggests that you need to have a good pre-op visit with your doctor in which all of those issues are expalined in detail.
Ed

John M on 9/25/03 at 14:45 (131008)

I had this done a bit over 2 years ago and I can say that it was extremely painful recovery - I was casted for 8-10 weeks, then a few months of physical therapy. I was not totally pain free running for probably 18 months though there may have been times I pushed a bit too early. As far as working on your feet all day I wouldn't think you could, much less would want to be on your feet for at least a month, probably closer to 2 months. Good luck and I do not envy you - I was told my other achilles needs the same thing but am saving and planning on ESWT with Dr. Z this fall hopefully.