Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

prevention of scar tissue formation

Posted by Stacey on 9/20/03 at 17:47 (130600)

Hello,
Can someone please share how to prevent the formation of scar tissue after surgery. I had scar tissue form after EPF and tightened things back up-how do I prevent it from happening again if I choose to have another surgery?
Thank you.
Stacey

Re: prevention of scar tissue formation

Sharon W on 9/20/03 at 20:28 (130603)

You MUST find yourself a surgeon this time who knows that you have had problems with scar tissue in the past and considers 'after-care' (including scar tissue prevention, and immediate treatment of it if there are signs it is forming) to be very high priority in his practice. The surgeon you choose to do your TTS procedure will be the doctor in charge of NOT JUST THE SURGERY ITSELF BUT THE RECOVERY PERIOD AFTERWARD -- and you will be absolutely dependent on him/her for this. If your surgeon is the type who pays little attention to what happens to you once your incision has healed, there is unfortunately a rather high probability you could have the same thing happen to you again.

The options available to your surgeon, things that he/she can order that will help to reduce your possibility for developing scar tissue or to treat it once there are signs it is developing, may include certain surgical techniques intended to discourage scar formation, early physical therapy and stretching exercises, scar massage, ultrasound treatments, repository steroid injections, etc. (I'm not a doctor, though; I'm sure one of the doctors can expand on that list...)

Sharon

Dr. Z on 9/21/03 at 13:36 (130625)

I agree !!!!

dave r on 9/22/03 at 07:20 (130674)

There are reports that Vitamin C helps reduce the formation of scar tissue after surgery. Large amounts up to 6000mg a day for the first couple of weeks.

Rose on 9/23/03 at 10:32 (130795)

Yes, I was told to take large doses both before and after surgery of vitamin C.