Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Seaver's disease

Posted by dianna k on 9/21/03 at 08:26 (130611)

My son was diagnosed with seaver's disease back in April, but has been suffering with the pain for over a year. He is 12 and a half and is very active in sports. He currently is playing football and by the time practices or games are over, you can see the pain in his face. He currently uses heel orthotics,ices and takes Motrin for the pain. Is there anything else that we can be doing for him? And when will this go away? As a mom, it is very diffcult to see your child in pain.

Re: Seaver's disease

Dr. Z on 9/21/03 at 10:53 (130615)

He may need full lenght biomechanical orthosis that are casted by a podiatrist

Richard, C.Ped on 9/22/03 at 08:05 (130676)

or pedorthist...;)
Richard

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/22/03 at 14:45 (130702)

dianna:
Active treatment with the right orthotic releives symptoms of Seaver's Disease about 95% of the time within 3 to 4 weeks. Please describe the 'heel orthotics' he is using.
Ed

diannak on 9/22/03 at 15:45 (130706)

They are a black wedge the size of your heel. Approx. 3x2

Dr. Z on 9/22/03 at 19:29 (130728)

and pedorthist. I have a hard time spelling the word pedorthist so I just say podiatrist. Ha Ha.

BGCPed on 9/22/03 at 21:00 (130738)

2x the Pedorthist. It sounds like you just have a heel wedge or lift. That can help but he probably would do better with some functional control as well as lift. We get loads of this in late summer. Most kids about 11 to 13 get it usually after or during a bit of a growth spurt.

The legs get longer and the tension on a tight achilles increases. Increases activity like soccer and football can make it worse. Also dont let him run around the house barefoot. Try to make him wear running shoes as much as possible. If he likes the flat crummy skateboard type shoes try to limit that also.

good luck

Dr. Z on 9/22/03 at 23:39 (130774)

He probay needs a full length biomechanical orthosis. A ocmplete biomechanical examination is needed.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/23/03 at 15:21 (130816)

diannak:
I agree with Dr. Z.
Ed

diannak on 9/24/03 at 13:43 (130893)

Thanks

jack on 7/28/08 at 17:37 (248746)

Dianna dont worry it will eventuly go away. Is it on both or one foot

DELORES T on 8/07/08 at 15:09 (249022)

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE SEAVERS DISEASE IS SIMILAR TO A FRACTURE ANKLE..CAUSE MY SON WAS AT THE HOSPITAL 2 WEEKS AGO AND THEY SAID HE BROKE BOTH HEELS AND THEY PUT SPLINTS ON BOTH UNTIL HE SAW THE ORTHAPEDIC DOCTOR AND HE SAW THEM YESTERDAY AND THEY TELL ME THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH HIS FEET THEY EVEN TOOK X RAYS AND SAID THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM BUT THE EMERGENCY DEPT. SAID THERE IS SO I AM VERY CONFUSE CAUSE IF THEY ARE FRACTURE AND THE ORTHEPEDIC TOOK THE SPLINTS AND THEN THE DOCTOR WAS WORNG I JUST DONT WANT TO DO MORE DAMAGE TO HIS FEET HE IS A SOCCER PLAYER AND HE ENJOYS PLAYING BUT RIGHT NOW I WONT LET HIM PLAY YET..I AM REALLY CONCEREND ABOUT IT ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL..HE IS GOING TO MY PRIMARY DOCTOR TOMORROW.. THANK YOU

Dr. Z on 8/07/08 at 15:35 (249024)

Hello,
Sever's disease is where the growth plates become inflamed usually due to over activity. They LOOK like fractures that are very serious on x-ray. An orthopedic doctor has more experience with this condition then the ER dept at the local hospital however since your son is a very active soccer play which is probaby one of the causes he will need to have a biomechanical evaluation to determine what part his function has contributed to his pain. So either have your orthopedic doctor address the bimechanics or go see a podiatrist

Steveg on 8/26/08 at 21:20 (249635)

My daughter seems to have this also. Does this have long term effects if not treated? We have her wearing a boot cast at the present time due to a doctors visit, but Seavers disease was not mentioned. Does this seem like a proper treatment?

chris on 2/03/09 at 19:18 (254741)

I have severs disease i play football and my trainer told me to do stretchs and take ibuprofen adn ice and it will go away