Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Deceptive journalism strikes again!

Posted by Sharon W on 9/24/03 at 15:53 (130911)

Some of you might be surprised by my personal views on abortion (which I won't state) but I am still rather aghast at the tone of this story, which implies that Bush has somehow forced used US 'superpower' muscle to force the closure of these foreign clinics.

What he actually has done is refused to fund them as long as they perform or support abortions. It is highly deceptive journalism, in my opinion!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030924/us_nm/health_gag_dc_2

Sharon
x-(

Re: Deceptive journalism strikes again!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/24/03 at 16:51 (130920)

Sharon:
I definitely share your frustration concerning this type of journalism.

We, in Iraq, are doing a phenomenal job in rebuilding the country but the media is virtually ignoring most of those efforts and only reporting the shootings of our soldiers. That has hurt Bush's poll ratings.

Ed

Peter R on 9/24/03 at 17:24 (130923)

Why is everbody continually suprised by the fact that the majority of the media in this country has tradionally bashed conservative politics.

Phil on 9/24/03 at 18:10 (130928)

Yes, and this is the only deceptive type of journalism out there, the kind that makes a conservative position look bad. I'm shocked. I can't understand why nothing in the press ever makes a liberal or a liberal viewpt. look bad. The press is always so positive and honest and fair when it discusses something less than right-wing hawk. It makes me so mad.

The job done in or on Iraq is mixed, at best, and that's probably putting it too optimisticly. The media has hurt Bush's poll ratings? Give me a break! Give me a break! Bush himself and those who are seflfish aggressive liars in his administration have his hurt his poll ratings, thank the good Lord.Pieces of responsibility for his sinking poll ratings can be handed out all over the place, but oh please. The main responsiblity falls right where he stands. Or does the buck not stop his desk? Those guys in the White House now are still doing the limbo and squeaking under wires while people aren't looking, and economically they are squashing flat as a pancake you, me, and every other working idiot, even now when it's all becoming so obvious. Thank the good Lord that some people are waking up, as reflected in the polls. This country is good, and in the end we won't put up with the junk that's come from this president who pretended to be a moderate and 'humble' as he put it during his campain.

marie on 9/24/03 at 19:24 (130930)

The abortion issue is always a tricky one. I did check some, but not in detail, the supporting information supplied in the article. It does seem to be accurate. I haven't made a final decison as to whether this is a deceptive article. I am still researching. Thank you for posting this as it raises some concern for womens health issues and Aids prevention.

marie

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/24/03 at 19:31 (130932)

Peter:

What really needs to happen is to get the word out as we are 'preaching to the choir' here in discussing this. The public, at large, needs to realize the degree of bias and demand something better.

Its not the overt bias that is problematic but the opinion molding that is performed by the intentional omission of important information. I view such omissions as the media not doing its job.

Ed

Sharon W on 9/24/03 at 19:36 (130934)

Marie,

I would imagine that the supporting information is probably accurate -- that was not my point. The title and lead are deceptive.

Sharon

marie on 9/24/03 at 19:39 (130935)

Here is aanother article on the same subject. Just a view from another country.

http://www.kantipuronline.com/archive/kpost/2002-7-31/kp_frontpg.htm

US move to cut funds to UNFPA hits RH care in Nepal

By Tashi Dolma Thinley

KATHMANDU, July 30

Health experts in Nepal have expressed deep concern over the United States government's recent decision not to grant US $ 34 million to the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) for the year 2002.

The denial of this fund, they fear could gravely affect Nepal and rest of the developing nations and will have significant negative impact on millions of women and children worldwide for whom the life-saving services provided by the UNFPA will have to be discontinued.

Country representative of the UNFPA Nepal, J Bill Musoke confirming the loss said, 'The US administration has decided not to release that amount of money. So we are facing a budget shortfall for this year. This would particularly affect our reproductive health services.'

'It is a very big loss and sadly the consequences will flatly fall on women and children as we won't be able to fund the Reproductive Health (RH) services,' he added.

Nepal's demographic and health indicators are already bleak. With only 13 percent of birth attended by health professionals, Nepal has one of the world's highest maternal mortality rates (539 deaths per 100,000 live births).

And then altogether 91 out of 1,000 children in Nepal die before the age of five. While the female literacy rates hover around 44.9 percent, the contraceptive prevalence rate is only 39.3.

Under such circumstances, Musoke expresses regret that such ‘shortcomings' will bear drastic consequences in the long run. Under the UNFPA's reproductive health project, programmes such as Family Planning, Safe Motherhood, Adolescent and Sexual Health, Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Reproductive Tract Infection and HIV/AIDS are included.

The UNFPA allocates the fund totally through the Ministry of Health (MoH) for implementation, and the ministry in turn allocates the fund to the concerned government health programmes, NGOs and INGOs.

Spokesperson of the MoH, Dr Benu Bahadur said that this cut in the UNFPA budget has disrupted several of the family and reproductive health programmes. 'Until now, we have not been able to collect substitutive funds and due to this our programmes could be delayed.'

The US decision to cut fund has also caught attention of the local NGOs. According to Hari Khanal, programme chief at the Family Planning Association of Nepal (FPAN), though NGOs as such will not be affected, FPAN in particular is indirectly affected by the fund deduction.

'FPAN receives contraceptive materials from the MoH, and now supply of which will either be reduced or stopped, ' Khanal said. Earlier in July 2001, after the reinstatement of the Global Gag Rule, FPAN had lost almost US $500,000 in US funds that meant the near-closure of all its three family planning clinics.

'This UNFPA fund deduction will definitely affect us and now we have to find new donors,' he said.

The US decision was made on last week (July 22). The US Congress alleged that UNFPA was involved in the management of programme of coercive abortion or involuntary sterilization in China.

The statement issued by the Executive Director of UNFPA, Thoraya Obaid to the UNFPA Nepal strongly denies the accusations and condemns the US move. She has said, 'UNFPA does not support the Chinese one-child policy and we are strongly opposed to population control.'

marie on 9/24/03 at 19:43 (130936)

Oh I know. Journalists will do about anything to get you to read something. I love the way they ask questions on the news stations instead of just saying what the next topic is. For instance..Coming up next'Will Hilary Clinton run in the 2004 race?' That's how you get hooked and feel like you have to stay tuned to find out what the answer is.

marie

Re: monkey business

Phil on 9/24/03 at 20:01 (130939)

The post by 'Phil' was not from me. I am the 'Phil' who has posted here on several occasions recently. There can be more people with the same name but I think all would appreciate a new poster identifying themselves or using a different 'identifier.'
Phil

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/24/03 at 20:27 (130945)

Phil:
I was wondering. Anyone can say they are someone else on the board -- we are dependent on the honesty of posters.
Ed

Angie on 9/24/03 at 20:59 (130953)

Alright! This sounds like a case for Secret Agent Angie B-).

Sorry I just couldn't resist. There's another marie that has posted here occasionally so I know how you feel.

best wishes marie

Dorothy on 9/25/03 at 02:31 (130958)

You wrote: Or does the buck not stop his desk?

Did you see the cartoon in the Christian Science Monitor that shows GWB sitting in the oval office with the door slightly ajar - and just OUTSIDE the door, in the hallway, sitting on the floor is that desk plaque that reads 'The Buck Stops Here'.

Phil W. on 9/25/03 at 07:04 (130959)

I didn't see the cartoon, Dorothy, but let's guess: it's probably based on real life.

Phil W. on 9/25/03 at 07:11 (130960)

Not monkey business. I posted several months ago under my name Phil. It might have been on another board here, I'm not sure, I think maybe the treatment section or 'ask the doctors. The search feature should show this. So you should use an initial too. Lots of people are named Phil or Bob or Beverly or whatever. Excuse the confusion.

john h on 9/25/03 at 08:43 (130968)

Certainly no one wants to read of the daily loss of an American life in Iraq. We are at war and it will last our lifetime. Not just in Iraq but against terriorism everywhere. I do not know what the total loss of life in Iraq is at this point but i would guess around 400 Americans since the war began. We lost almost that many in one bombing of a barracks some years ago and it is all but forgotten. The media is inflicting upon us death by a thousand cuts. We have had more homicides in the U.S.than deaths in Iraq but do we read of that? We are either going to fight terriorism over there or we will end up fighting it here in our cities and towns. Three Arab American Air Force personal have been arrested for treason in Guantanamo Bay incluing one Chaplin. The terriorist are already among us. The war is no longer on the other side of the ocean. With 9/11 it came to our shores. We need to fight for our children and our grand children. It will not be easy and soldiers will die. Military personnel know the score and they are willing to make the supreme sacrifice. Are we at home willing to do the same? A major Hamas Sheik stated this week that Islam will defeat the U.S. and Israel and there will be no peace. There is no longer a 'Fortress America'.

marie on 9/25/03 at 11:13 (130980)

It will happen.

Sharon W on 9/25/03 at 11:16 (130981)

Marie, Phil, Phil W,

It really does help to avoid confusion if you use a last inital. Even then, confusion can occur, of course... I recall once when it did, with me -- but it's less likely.

I think most of the time these things are just coincidence, nothing malicious about it at all!

Sharon

Re: ~~~DECEPTIVE NEWS MEDIA~~~

Necee on 9/25/03 at 11:37 (130984)

It really angers me that all you hear from this liberal news reporting is, another soldier shot, or another bombing.

Yes, that is news worth reporting, but it's also worth reporting that soldiers are daily and tirelessly working to restore the citys there. They have been rebuilding the schools, helping the citizens rebuild their homes, giving much needed support and protection, in a world that was in complete turmoil. So much more is happening in a positive way that never gets told!

I have a friend whos son is in Iraq, she tells me all the time that her son, along with the many troops there, are working to rebuild a school, that they have restored water lines, power lines, brought in much needed supplies, but most important, it's the children who come to them daily with hugs and smiles. Mothers and fathers come to them with tears of thanksgiving, and overwhelmed emotion that their lives are back. No longer are they living in fear. To me, that is news worth reporting.....but, we never hear those stories........ hummm...go figure.

Happy trails.....

Necee

BGCPed on 9/25/03 at 12:44 (130990)

Phil W I like your use of the word 'HAWKS' that has been thrown about by some others recently

marie on 9/25/03 at 14:12 (131000)

Bg, my only coment on this would be if you call folks names it will happen in return. I have heard many names on either side used. They include hawks, pinkos, scumbags, etc. I'm not taking sides on this issue. Anyone would feel defensive with name calling.

My best advice....for what it's worth, is we try not to do it.

marie

marie on 9/25/03 at 14:14 (131001)

I find more positive information on the internet. But you really have to look hard for it. I think it's wonderful that your friend's son is helping to rebuild a school. It's nice that we have the internet so we can pass on little tidbits of news to each other. Thanks.

best wishes marie

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/25/03 at 14:25 (131005)

marie:

I tend to agree with your advice on avoiding name calling. Avoidance of labelling is also something to be considered.

I do feel that it is possible to have a friendly discussion but to spice it up with use of 'soft' invectives. A lot depends on the personalities of those involved. People overhearing me debate my liberal roomate in college thought we were having a major fight but we actually were just thoroughly enjoying ourselves with verbal jousting. This is one distinct disadvantage of being online and not being able to see people --- the emoticons do help though.
Ed

marie on 9/25/03 at 16:49 (131023)

I'm so glad that you agree. Thanks. And yes the smileys help alot. I do think the board has improved greatly. I guess you can say we're a work in progress.

marie

marie on 9/25/03 at 16:50 (131025)

I'm going to have to find that one!:)

What a great example of politcal cartooning.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/25/03 at 18:55 (131040)

Necee:
Our efforts in Iraq are remarkable in two respects. First, the military accomplishment itself -- winning the war so quickly and with relatively few civilian casualties. Second, our efforts to rebuild Iraq. The lack of reporting on the good things we have done is showing a bias in the media that is so blatant that I hope that it may enlighten many as to the 'agenda' of those in the media.
Ed

Phil C. on 9/25/03 at 20:25 (131065)

Phil W.
My apologies. I will add the first letter of my last name too.
Phil C.

JudyS on 9/26/03 at 12:55 (131146)

Nicely said, Necee :)