Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

When will I be able to run?

Posted by Chris B on 9/24/03 at 16:41 (130915)

I am a 30 year young male having TTS surgery on my right foot Oct. 20th. I am a competitive triathlete and I hope to compete again in early spring. My doctor won't give me a good answer on when I can start training again. Does anyone have an idea of when I can get back into the pool to train and when I can start running long distances? Or am I out of my mind to set early spring as a goal?

Re: When will I be able to run?

Rick R on 9/25/03 at 08:25 (130965)

I waited 6 months to even test things out. I concluded it was too soon and waited another 6 months before gradually getting back to 5 mile runs. I was 40 at the time of surgery. My case was rather severe, I am told so who knows. I also was extreemly cautious having suffered roughly a decade.

Re: When will I be able to run?

Terry D. on 10/03/03 at 09:16 (132047)

I was a collegiate 800 meter runner and have run my entire life. I am now 53 but in excellent shape. I had TTS on May 19th. Not to discourage you but in my case....and from reading about the others on this board recovery is a slow process. I was walking without crutches in 6 weeks. At 3 months I was coaching double days in football. But no running. I am now doing sprint jogs...about 1/2 speed. I can run about 1/2 mile without stopping. My foot is still very numb and the scare is still tight.
My advice is to be patient. You will recover and you have the rest of your life to trin run etc. It maybe a full year before you are back to normal....but in the whole scheme of things so what....be thankful if your pain goes away and you come out of the operation successfully.
Good luck,