Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shave the spur, don't touch the tendon

Posted by Matt H on 9/24/03 at 17:48 (130927)

Wondering if anyone has any experiences taking off the heal spur itself without touching the tendon? I am trying to learn about the various approaches to solutions for heal spurs. How often are the spurs taken down without touching the tendons?

Re: Shave the spur, don't touch the tendon

Dr. David S. Wander on 9/24/03 at 20:04 (130940)

In the last 18 years I've practiced, I've never heard of a doctor removing the spur without releasing a portion of the plantar fascia. I recommend that you read Scott's heel pain book on this site for a thorough explantation. I believe that it is generally accepted by the doctors on this board that the actual spur rarely, if ever causes pain, and surgical intervention of any kind should be avoided until ALL conservative care including ESWT has been exhausted.

Re: Shave the spur, don't touch the tendon

Dr. Z on 9/24/03 at 20:21 (130944)

Dr. Wander,
I would have e-mailed you directly, but for some reason your e-mail isn't in my home address.
IBX is done and you would be receiving additional information about all the details for scheduling ESWT patient that you have that need ESWT.

For anyone else wanting to know what I am talking about Excellence Shockwave Therapy Group has FINALLY convinced Independence Blue Shield of Pa. to cover ESWT !!!!!!.