Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What about this?

Posted by BGCPed on 9/25/03 at 09:58 (130975)

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-bake-sale-protest,0,5768770,print.story?coll=sns-ap-nation-headlines

Re: What about this?

Peter R on 9/25/03 at 10:07 (130976)

I'm surprised that they didn't charge white males $25.00 a cookie so that hispanics, gays, women and blacks could have free cookies and a free cab ride to where the cookies are being given away. I hope that out Liberal politicians don't get any bright ideas from this and make it a law.

Peter R on 9/25/03 at 10:10 (130977)

P.S. People with plantar faciitis should get free cookies all the time except if they are white males of european decent. As a matter of fact maybe all white males of European decent should be jailed because we are the casue of all the worlds problems.

BGCPed on 9/25/03 at 10:48 (130978)

What about people that may be offended if the cookies were white chocolate or dark chocolate? Would some people of moderate hue e.g. lighter skinned Puerto Ricans be offended that the chips were too dark or too light to make them feel included?

john h on 9/25/03 at 11:00 (130979)

Peter within the next decade you will become a minority in California. When this happens will their be any minority benefits for the white caucausians? The word minority may have to be redefined. There will come a time in this country when in fact the white race will be a minority race in several states. The politics of race are very much in play now. General Clark is speaking to a Hispanic group this week and strangely the only one of the Democratic candidates who will be there. It is to bad that is the way politics has to be played but as long as ethnic groups align themselves up as groups to gain political power this will be the way of politics. The idea of a color blind society is very much a myth. People of like backgrounds tend to live in the same area and socialize in the same places. This has been the way it has been from the begining. We have black neighborhood, oriental neighborhood, jewish neighborhood, and so on. Politicians like to talk of a colorblind society which sounds nice but practically speaking may never be in reach. This is not in the U.S. but is the way it is throughout the world.

There is a 32 year old woman in one of the Islamic countries who is scheduled soon to be stoned to death for adultry . She is to be buried up to her neck in sand and then stoned to death. How do you reason with people who follow such religious practicies?

Re: melting pot

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/25/03 at 13:15 (130992)

John:

I think that the old term 'melting pot' said it all. America was a place for people from all over to come to, find freedom of religion, speech, thought and economic opportunity. Diverse cultures that may have been in conflict overseas could find a place where they could live together in peace. That is the concpet of America. People from all over became here to become Americans, not hyphenated Americans.

This concept is being forgotten and there are too many here only for economic opportunity without respect for the concept that defines America.

Ed

Peter R on 9/25/03 at 13:16 (130993)

There is absolutely no possible way of rational dialouge with a religous fanatic. I believe that one should them in the same way as one would treat a rabid dog and that is with extreme caution while reserving the right to kill them if necessary. As far as the Islamic woman sentenced to death- I saw her picture-any guy who would have sex with her should be stoned to death and as for her- her face would stop any stone that was thrown at her. I would stone myself to death rather than have her. As a matter of fact she looked like most women do without their makeup.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/25/03 at 13:25 (130994)

Peter:

Perhaps if we could just try to understand how Osama bin Laden feels, he will be nice to us. Open a dialouge. Offer him some milk and cookies (perhaps tofu and bean sprouts if you are from California).
Maybe we just don't understand him. Maybe all he really needs is an opprtunity to express his feelings. ;)
Ed

Peter R on 9/25/03 at 13:29 (130995)

There is absolutely no possible way of rational dialouge with a religous fanatic. I believe that one should them in the same way as one would treat a rabid dog and that is with extreme caution while reserving the right to kill them if necessary. As far as the Islamic woman sentenced to death- I saw her picture-any guy who would have sex with her should be stoned to death and as for her- her face would stop any stone that was thrown at her. I would stone myself to death rather than have her. As a matter of fact she looked like most women do without their makeup.

Rick R on 9/25/03 at 13:31 (130996)

Hi John,

I'd like to come out in support of reparations. One of my ancestors was a slave and I want my cut. You don't think the fact he was Irish will be a problem....hmmmmm.....may have to rethink my position. I'm accepting contributions in the mean time.

Rick

Re: melting pot

john h on 9/25/03 at 13:32 (130997)

Well put Dr. Ed.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/25/03 at 13:49 (130998)

Aw, c'mon Peter -- lighten up. All we have to do is offer all those fanatics green cards with an invitation to live in California. They won't need to be citizens. Instead of the normal naturalization process, we will have a big ceremony on the beach all holding hands and singing kum-bay-yah. We will all think positive thoughts. We will admit to being the cause of all their problems, offer them a California drivers license, free health care, double wide trailers with free parking along the beach (plenty of sand there so they can feel at home), and a monthly welfare check -- all at no cost to them. All you have to do is be nice to them -- it works for the French, doesn't it? ;)
Ed

BGCPed on 9/25/03 at 15:07 (131011)

Hey I am 1/2 Irish and we helped build railroads and many dies in textile mills out east. Add the fact that you have a mockery of my ancestory with Lucky Charms and the Fighting Irish mascot. Then all the people that get drunk on St Pats I am feeling low self esteem as we speak

Rick R on 9/25/03 at 15:35 (131012)

Lift your spirit by lifting......too easy couldn't do it.

I guess the no Irish need apply thing was a favor aimed at keeping them safe from the dangers of the textile and other industries.

Rick

BGCPed on 9/25/03 at 17:00 (131028)

A good book is 'Out Of Ireland' I also remember a documentary that had a quote from the owner of a textile mill. Back in the day when they wanted to automate everything the owner said it was too costly, Irish backs and lives were cheaper. Lets see there is Mickey's malt liquor with a shamrock and the derogatory term Mickey for its name. All this stuff has lowered my self esteem.

Any Lawyers on here want to start a class action suit against Notre Dame and General Mills, makers of Lucky Charms? All of the cereal anf logo sports wear these monsters have sold at the expense of slandering the Irish community

John H on 9/25/03 at 17:06 (131030)

Rick R: Actually I am part Indian and think part of Long Island should be deeded to me.

Does everyone know the U.S. Government is the largest land holder in the country. I have forgot the actual amount of government land holdings not to include government buildings but I think it is easily around 30-40% of all U.S. land. Anytime you think we are somewhat bankrupt start putting a value on all this land and buildings and we are wealthy beyond your wildest dreams.

Rick R on 9/25/03 at 17:52 (131036)

John which part?
Gee, sorry about that Long Island thing. On the bright side, one of my ancestors was the guy that documented the game of Lacross to preserve your heritage. In around 1660 he published what amounts to an advertising brouchure encouraging others to take more of the island away. His pappy had settled Hempstead, after he left Connecticut.

It's not certian, but supposedly I'm part Potwatomy, I'm sure they couldn't spell it either. If you're Pequot I'm in real trouble, that whole silly matter of in Mystic Conn.,sorry about that. Then again, we got our come uppins in the Wyoming valley (7/3/1778), wasn't pretty.

Rick

Scott R on 9/26/03 at 16:17 (131164)

Peter,
Using the phrase 'while reserving the right to kill them if necessary' is too close to a support for genocide to be appropriate here. Similarly, if you had used the phrase 'while reserving the right to kill you if necessary' it would have been too close to a death threat. I enjoy 'cutting edge' statements, but i have the responsibility of running a public website that's safe for children, muslims, southern baptists, and republicans, no matter how bad they use religious and patriotic fanaticism to run the country into the ground. (Bush will spend on iraq the equivalent of 30 successful world trade center attacks....)

scott

JudyS on 9/27/03 at 09:08 (131217)

I will admit in preamble that the statement I am about to make violates my own 'rule' about responding to inflammatory posts. My rule is to not respond but I just think this post of Peter's is too much and I choose not to turn the other cheek, so to speak.

Peter, your statements in the post;

'There is absolutely no possible way of rational dialouge with a religous fanatic. I believe that one should them in the same way as one would treat a rabid dog and that is with extreme caution while reserving the right to kill them if necessary. As far as the Islamic woman sentenced to death- I saw her picture-any guy who would have sex with her should be stoned to death and as for her- her face would stop any stone that was thrown at her. I would stone myself to death rather than have her. As a matter of fact she looked like most women do without their makeup......

are horrid, period.

To even joke about a woman who is about to be STONED TO DEATH (STONED to DEATH!!!!!) is unconscionable at best. Her plight is just one example of how horrid people can be to other people in the name of religion and it's one reason why the US imposes itself in some foriegn countries - as you well know. What makes your tasteless, insensitive and low-brow joking any less horrible than the religious fanatics you mention?

Yes, I know you keep trying to arouse angst here, and I know that you are admired for your PF knowledge (justifiably so) but I continue to feel that you're playing us by wanting to see what happens when you post things that are as inflammatory as your other posts are intelligent. Obviously with me it works.

I have seen that I am the only one who has reacted to your recent statements and, while I respect each and every person here with all that I am, I am sad to see that avoiding your ignorant nonsense seems to be the sensible person's only recourse here.

So fine, I'm not sensible - and you're something of a bully.

I live in San Diego and I'm pretty sure this city's not big enough for the likes of you. So may I suggest a nice vacation in some culture where YOU can get a taste of what it's like to be buried in sand up to your neck and have stones/rocks hurled at your head until you die?

Make that STONED TO DEATH !!!!!!!! Get it?

To all others I offer my apologies for breaking the 'don't respond' rule and for being selfish enough to want to air my anger.

Last, I am one of the folks Scott has allowed to act as something of a 'moderator' here. So, as such, I encourage you, Peter, to continue to bless us with your intelligence and with more of the sensitivity you've shown on occasion - and far, far less of the ascerbic rhetoric you demonstrated in this recent post.

Suzanne D on 9/27/03 at 09:43 (131219)

Judy, I totally agree with you!

I had not read the post you allude to until I saw your above message. And I would certainly be amiss to not respond as well - especially since I responded to one awhile ago about teachers which was unfair and spiteful but certainly not nearly as much so as this current one!

I received some criticism for doing so and was reminded to just ignore posts with which I didn't agree. Most of the time that seems like a good idea, but as you just stated, sometimes in good conscience we just cannot.

I have taken to reading and posting less since it seems that one either has to just read things and be silently upset or respond and be thought to be critical or less than open-minded. I don't like either position, so there seems to be little recourse than to just not read. I have too many other things to do to stay upset about 'games' which some people seem to enjoy playing.

I just couldn't let you hang on the limb on this one by yourself.

Suzanne

Dorothy on 9/27/03 at 23:07 (131373)

I have been out of town and only just began to read all that has apparently been happening here. I sincerely hope that my comments have not contributed to the closure of many of the discussions. I am one who will miss them and find such conversations can be lively and interesting AND quite diversionary from other problematical issues in one's life. To each his/her own.

Judy - and Suzanne D. - but especially Judy: I read the posts of Peter because I read everything; I am a voracious and a quick reader and assimilator. I was angered and repulsed by them. I do not choose to respond to him in any way. I choose to completely ignore him. I think what he says is vile. I think you were exceptionally kind and generous to him in your comments and I don't understand that, frankly - but that is your choice. He seems to me to express a very serious personality or psychological or mental problem and his words seem to reflect a dangerous, hateful mentality. That a woman would afford him any latitude because she appreciates SOME of his comments, in spite of those despicable comments he made, is a reasoning that is beyond my understanding. But again, to each his/her own. In my opinion, he has said many vile, obscene things during the short time that I have been visiting here.
While I can appreciate your confronting him and encouraging him to de-emphasize the posts that you refer to here, that is not the route that I would want to take. I think he needs to be completely ignored. The Amish, and some other cultures, use 'shunning' - i.e. ostracizing from their community - as a way of reacting to unacceptable behavior. I think that what this Peter R. has said demands that. I doubt that you or any other sensible person here would stop for one minute on the street and engage with a person spewing the kind of speech that Peter gave here. Yet, you labelled it simply 'acerbic rhetoric' and asked him merely to post 'far, far less' of it. It is vile, filthy evil speech and there should be NONE of it. That Scott R. has banned all 'political' speech because of this obscene speech seems misguided. He should have banned Peter R. and let the political speech go on for others, IMHO. But then I am not so interested in what people collect or matters like that. I wish you well and this, in my own feeble way, is my statement of support for your words about Peter's words. I don't really think it is possible or fruitful to engage rationally with an irrational being, but give you credit for trying.

JudyS on 9/27/03 at 23:16 (131374)

Dorothy - I appreciate your words here a great deal - they've hit a target that I wasn't looking at - sort of a 'forest for the trees' thing.
Thanks.