Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot Levelers Orthodics????

Posted by Rose on 9/25/03 at 21:41 (131082)

Has anybody ever heard of this brand of custom orthodics? If so, what is your opinion? I have the soft ones. I have two pairs of orthodics, one soft and one hard. The soft ones were made by standing to make a foam impression by a chiropractor. The hard ones were made with a cast method by a podiatrist.. What about the ones that might be purchawed say at a fair? Could they be trusted? They are already made and a softer plastic. I have had release surgery, so would that make a difference in the type I should wear? Thanks so much for your time.

Re: Foot Levelers Orthodics????

BGCPed on 9/25/03 at 22:08 (131088)

No to the state fair inserts. You dont get your orthotics where you get your corn dogs and cotton candy (at least if the were not charging $200 for them)

Footlevelers are ok for dress inserts but they are a sandwich construction and lack real control of the foot since they lack a heel cup and are just pieces laminated between layers of leather

Richard, C.Ped on 9/26/03 at 09:23 (131117)

never..ever..ever...ever...ever...ever (I could go on) stand up to take an impression. Bad Chiro...bad chiro. go to your room!!!

All kidding aside...(like that could really happen with me) think about it. If you have some sort of biomechanical condition that needs proper balance and weight distribution, lets say flat feet as an example. If you stand to take the impression...what do you get???? A flat foot impression. It is not a correct way to take an impression.

One more thing....could you please bring me some cotton candy back??? The monster bag please. hee hee.

Richard

Re: I'll pick orthotics over orthodics every time

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/03 at 10:32 (131125)

Richard:
I agree with you concerning not using weight bearing impressions for custom orthotics although I am not sure I would consider the Foot Levelers to be custom. The molds, most likely, are used for sizing only.
They appear to be a combination of wedges, arch and metatarsal 'cookies' sandwiched between layers of leather.
Ed

Re: I'll pick orthotics over orthodics every time

BGCPed on 9/26/03 at 17:38 (131178)

They are Dr Ed I would call them modular pre-fabs......hey I just made a new word!

CLN on 11/16/07 at 11:43 (239545)

I have them and LOVE them-been wearing them for years-in fact bought my entire family a couple pairs.The soft are so much better then the hard-rigid ones I had before.This is a great company.