Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Doc Martens

Posted by Molly H on 9/25/03 at 22:20 (131089)

Hi I have had bi-lateral PF for almost 1 year. I had ESWT in May it helped a lot but, I am NOT cured. I am going for a 2nd round in November. My question is what are the opinions on Doc Martins? I have been wearing Dansko or Brooks Trance NX running shoes since May (ESWT) I mainly wear Danskos to work because I sell health club memberships and have to wear business casual attire, (no tennis shoes) Anyway, yesterday I wore my Docs (like I used to before PF) and my feet are killing ME! I have semi-rigid orthotics and ALWAYS wear them except in Danskos. I have almost flat feet and I over-pronate but, not severly.
Are Docs too heavy and my foot can't bend enough? My arch is irritated as well. Would LOVE to hear opinions on Doc Martens!

Thanks!

Molly

Re: Doc Martens

Richard, C.Ped on 9/26/03 at 09:25 (131118)

I dont know to much about the Doc Martens...but I know for sure that if you have a proper orthosis...that will be the best support in order for the fascia to heel. I do stress 'proper' orthosis.
Richard

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/03 at 10:56 (131134)

Richard:
They appear to be well made, sort of chunky looking, thick rubber soles but they have relatively shallow interiors, not amenable to orthotic use.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 9/26/03 at 12:36 (131143)

Yeah...I have seen them...but I have never used or sold them. I remember people wearing them in high school.
Richard

Molly H on 9/26/03 at 17:40 (131179)

Thanks for your replies Richard and Dr. Ed. So do you think the shoe pushed me up too high and that is what flared me?

I had worn hard plastic orthotics for 9 years until PF then switched to semi rigid kind. I was casted both times lying on my stomach. My pod casted me 8 months before PF again (just cause I needed new orthotics) and my Physical Therapist casted me last January when I got the semi-rigid kind.

Should I go see a CPED? Also, I live in Fort Collins, Colorado can you recommend one in the Ft. Collins, Loveland, Greeley area? Denver would be ok too.

Thanks!

Molly

Kathy G on 9/27/03 at 08:44 (131213)

Molly,

Both of my children have Doc Martens. My daughter had to stop wearing hers because they were so heavy that they hurt her back. My son, who has PF, had to stop wearing them because even with his custom orthotics they aggravated his condition. He also wears FootMax or PowerSteps on occasion and they didnt' work with the Doc's either.

I think your feet has given you the message that they aren't for you either! Better stick to the Dansko or consider some Birks or SAS shoes.

Good luck!