Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Atypical Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by JerryT on 9/25/03 at 22:26 (131090)

I have been diagnosed with atypical PF, I DO NOT have heel pain when getting out of bed, if increases after standing on my feet a while until it is unbearable after a few hours. Is there any of you who have atypical PF who received relief with ESWT or know first hand of someone who did? If so, which machine was used? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Re: Atypical Plantar Fasciitis

Steve G on 9/25/03 at 23:05 (131100)

Jerry - I have atypical PF and I was helped by ESWT. The majority of m.ay pain was in my heel, although I did not have 'first step pain'. If you have significant pain at the insertion point, you are likely to benefit (but not be cured) by ESWT. I have had both low (Sonicur) and high (Dornier) treatments.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/25/03 at 23:24 (131105)

The machines approved for PF are approved for 'insertional' PF, that is , the area near the heel bone. The distal portion of the fascia is thinner (portion closer to the ball of the foot) so low energy is more likely to be used (Siemen's Sonocur). The Dornier is 'dialable' so it can be used at low energy settings for the distal fascia.

Biomechanically, subtalar joint overpronation is often blamed but the other end of the fascial attachment is influenced by midtarsal joint oversupination. Logic has it that both ends should be dealt with but I have observed that in a significant percentage of distal PF patients, the midtarsal joint may play a larger role.

Molly H on 9/26/03 at 17:33 (131176)

I had a typical PF in my right and more typical in my left. I had ESWT on May 14. My right is 80-90 % better my left I would say 50%. I am going in for another ESWT on Nov.3.

SteveG How are you doing?

Re: Re:Molly

Steve G on 9/26/03 at 18:10 (131185)

Molly - I would say that my right is about 50-60% improved and my left about 70%. I am definitely better in that I don't think about my PF as much and I can definitely stand longer and walk further than I have been able to do for a long time. Getting ready for work in the morning used to be a real ordeal. Now while I am getting ready in the morning my pain level is at about a 2 (scale of 1-10). I was just talking to my wife that at some point I might go to Canada and get the right zapped again - my insurance no longer covers the procedure. However, I don't have the same desperate desire for cure that I had a year ago (due, again, to being in less pain). I am also using the foot trainer on a daily basis, and I can feel my feet becoming stronger. This may also be helping.