Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

going for 2nd treatment tues

Posted by David B on 9/26/03 at 06:25 (131111)

I am going tues for my 2nd ESWT treatment, the dr is not very optimist about the 2nd one doing any good. He said orthowave the company that does ESWT said that the 2nd treatment success rate is low. I ask myself if this does not work what is next? PF release? Wife thinks I should not even mess with the 2nd treatment and just go ahead and have it released. I just hate to go under the knife though until I try everything else 1st. Now my other foot is hurting almost as bad.

Re: going for 2nd treatment tues

Pauline on 9/26/03 at 08:31 (131115)

David,
You and your wife should sit and read the surgery board entries that have been posted together. Surgery may sound like an 'easy' way out of pain, but after going back and reading the entries, those surgical stories may change your mind and at the very least give you more to think about.

Many patients were left in more pain and many gained additional problems adding to their original one. The easy sounding 'snip and go' surgery doesn't guarantee you'll ever be pain free nor will the doctor doing the surgical procedure provide you with one.

Do your homework well. P.F. is a long term condition unfortunately with no quick fixes and your decision to have surgical intervention could lead
you down a path to additional pain and suffering.

No one want's to see their family member suffer least of all a spouse. That's why it's important to involve them in doing the necessary research
with you so they too can understand what is described as a simple operation may not provide the cure that you are seeking and can create additional problems.

Lots of pain, tough decisions to make but above all take your time in making them.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/03 at 12:18 (131141)

Pauline:
Good points. There is a popular concept that surgery is more definitive than anything else or that it is an endpoint. Occasionally that can be true as in the removal of an abnormal growth. On the other hand, if one is distorting normal anatomy with surgery ie. cutting a ligament that is a necessary part of one's anatomy, that is a different story.
Ed

Dr. Z on 9/26/03 at 13:40 (131151)

Excellent points. Dr. Ed, Pauline

lauren on 10/03/03 at 12:59 (132072)

I had the PF release and heal spur removal surgery 8 months ago and am in worse pain due to massive scar tissue build up. I WOULD NOT RECCOMMEND THIS PROCEDURE. I just tried ESWT to break up the scar tissue and am keeping my fingers crossed. ESWT told me the second one is free if the first one doesn't take. Y0u have nothing to lose by giving it a 2nd round. good Luck