Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Achillies tendon

Posted by Kathryn P. on 9/26/03 at 10:34 (131126)

I had my achillies reconnected 3 years ago. It was botched up so bad I had to see several doctors because first doc dropped me when he saw the mess he made. Ortho Pods say nothing can be done. The pain is constant and extends above my knee. It is swollen all the time and ugly.

At first they said I had sprained ankle and ortho pod sent me to therapy which worsened my foot. Then an MRI was taken and showed a complete rupture of achillies tendon. He did surgery, big whoop, it ended up that he messed up big time. He sent me back to therapy. It only made things worse. He dropped me when he realized he made a terrible mess out of my whole foot. The pain is also in my leg, I take quinine for leg cramps and Mag 64 for cramps in my arch. Can these cramps cause blood clots? I have had dopplers. At least 10 other doctors looked at my foot and doesn't want to touch it.

I found out Tuesday I have RSDS which is crippling, imagine how I feel that this happened 3 1/2 years ago. No attorney would take case because I needed proof. I thought it was their job to find proof, I checked for attorneys up until SOL ran out. I couldn't even get attorney to establish me a case on file for when SOL ran out. I need help from you, please.

Katryn P.

Re: Achillies tendon

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/03 at 10:41 (131128)

Kathryn:
What is 'SOL?'
Where any of the doctors you had seen podiatrists?
What exactly went wrong with the surgery?

Most achilles injuries are very fixable -- one of my favorite things to do BUT, the RSDS must be effectively treated first. Where do you live?
Ed

Kathryn P. on 9/26/03 at 14:53 (131159)

SOL is statute of limitations. Yes, I saw a podiatrist. He never wanted to surgery until their best Pediatrist left the state to go to Calif. He even said surgery won't do any good. He is a young a--hole who specializes in bunion removal he also removes ingrown toenails. His attitude and mannerisms was very unprofessional. He yelled at my sister when she asked him questions about the leg cramps and blood clots. She has been to all appointments throughout the 3 1/2 years. No one would come out and say I had RSD, but Tuesday I found out I had RSDS after the fact. Some of the symptoms like the burning, etc. are already gone.

The orthopedic surgeon sent me to therapy before he even knew what was wrong. After my foot got worse he decided to do an MRI and it showed a complete rupture of achillies tendon. Even when I went to see him when infection set in the nurse cut my leg when she cut a small piece out of my cast. The doc never looked at it. Somewhere between initial injury and surgery he messed up. He has messed up other patients, in fact, one young woman died because he never checked her for blood clots. He performed surgery on her twice. She died in front of her 8 yr. old daughter.

No one will say what he did wrong, its a case of covering for one another.

Kathryn P.

Kathryn P. on 9/26/03 at 14:54 (131160)

I live in Pa.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/03 at 18:56 (131190)

Kathryn:
That is incredible. The statute of limitations, in most juridictions, is timed not from when the problem occurred but from when it was discovered that there was something wrong done. Does that change things for you?

What happened after your orthopedic surgeon discovered that the achilles was ruptured? Was it repaired surgically? Did something go wrong with that surgery?

I don't want to get into speculation here but the most common problem that occurs with repairs of the achilles is that in many ruptures, the quality of the tendon at the place of rupture is poor. The poor quality or frayed tendon must be cut back to good tendon before a repair is attempted. Some are concerned that if too much tendon is trimmed, the achilles will be left too short. The key is to take off as much of the achilles as necessary to get to good tendon, then regain the length by performing a gastrocnemius recession (lengthening of the calf muscle) simultaneously. Often, surgeons cut back the bad tendon, repair it, and worry about the shortening later -- that has never made sense to me.
Again, I am coming up with a speculative scenario -- I would need more information from you as to the specifics.
Ed

Kathryn P. on 9/27/03 at 11:24 (131227)

Ed check top of list. My first message didn't print.
Kathryn P.

Dr. Z on 9/27/03 at 15:07 (131255)

There are other methods of repair such as tendon graphing. This is where they take a portion of tendon from a cadaver

Re: Achillies tendon /thanks

Kathryn P. on 9/28/03 at 14:38 (131547)

I want to thank all who have helped me. You help and advice has helped me a lot. Again thanks.
Kathryn P.

Re: Achillies tendon /thanks

Dr Z on 9/28/03 at 17:08 (131566)

Good luck. Feel free to ask any future questions you may have