Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question - john h

Posted by R C on 9/26/03 at 13:04 (131147)

John,

Just wondering - which way did you flip on abortion, and why?

I myself took no strong position in my younger days, but became firmly anti-abortion in my 30s, as I became more involved and interested in politics. At that time, I was still teaching at a university, which (as is typical) was full of very far left-leaning faculty and students. Being in contact with them academically and socially forced me to examine important issues, take a position, and be able to support my position against a sea of dissent.

R

Re: question - john h

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/03 at 14:00 (131152)

RC:
I would like to hear from John on this although he indicated earlier that he did not want to state his position on this. I have enjoyed debating lots of different issues but this is the one issue I have never been able to have a good discussion on. Many take an 'absolutist' view on one side or the other on this issue and worry about a 'slippery slope' if they give way. I, too, have flipped on this issue and to this day, am somewhat annoyed by what I percieve is the inability for many to have a rational discussion or debate on this.
Ed

John H on 9/26/03 at 19:19 (131193)

R.C. I flipped about 10 years ago and it was a gradual thing. It seems the public is split about 50/50 on this issue and it is likely to remain that way for the forseeable future. I could state my position but since it is a no win debate I just as soon not anger the 50% who will disagree with me. I can offer no information that has not been discussed a million times. Religion aside one just has to listen to the arguments and take a position. I think one thing we can all agree on is that idiots who bomb clincs and kill people are criminals and I do not care which side you are on.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/03 at 19:52 (131194)

John:
I have changed my position twice on this and I not changed in the last 15 years or so. Again, debating this is so unfruitful that I too will avoid it.

I do remember a very good college course entitled 'Moral Philosophy.' It was a study of all of the non-religious arguments for moral issues including abortion. Memories of that course remind me that it is really possible to have a very good rational debate on this subject. This board is probably not the right venue though.
Ed