Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Food, Family and Holiday Traditions

Posted by marie on 9/26/03 at 17:22 (131174)

It's that time of the year that the holidays seem to be advancing. I can remember a thread some time ago about ethnic ancestry. It was so very interesting to hear about all the cultural back grounds that we had. My grandmother was from the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. She brought with her many old family recipes. I thought it would be nice for us to share a recipe or family tradition. (and it's not politics)

This is my grandmother's recipe for Kuchen. You will need to set some kitchen time aside for this.

1 1/2 c lukewarm milk
1/2 c sugar
2tsp salt
7-8 c 1/2 flour sifted
2 pckg dry yeast
2 eggs plus 3 yolks
1/2 c shortening

Scald milk, stir in sugar and salt, and shortening.
Cool to lukewarm. Dissolve dry yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water; add 1tsp sugar to activate yeast. Pour milk mixture into large bowl. Add yeast mixture, eggs, and yolks, and flour to mixer. Beat them 10 minutes. If by hand also beat for 10 minutes. Dough should be soft and almost sticky. Put into greased bowl; cover. Let rise until double in volume. Remove from bowl and put on floured board. Cut into 6 equal pieces. Makes 6 large rolls. Thsi dough can be used for a variety of coffee cakes.

Nut filling- 2sticks oleo. Cream in bowl. Add 2/3 c sugar. Mix. Beat 3 egg whites firm and combine. Add 1tsp Vanilla. Spread on dough that has been rolled fairly thin. Sprinkle 1 1/2 to 2 lb shelled ground nuts over egg white mixture. Sprinkle a little sugar over all to taste. Roll up. Spread egg yolk or canned milk or soft shortening over top. Enough for two large rolls. Let rise again. Bake 350 degrees later to 325 degrees 1 hour if large. Usually is browned nicely in 45 minutes.

Poppy Seed Filling-Cook 2 cups ground poppy seed, 1/2 butter, 1 cup milk and one cup sugar over low heat about 10 minutes stirring frequently. If too dry add a little more milk. Cool and add 1 tsp vanilla. Makes enough fillin for 2 rolls.

This family recipe has been handed down for 6 generations that I know of. As you can tell my grandmother made enough to feed a family of 9.

best wishes marie

Re: Food, Family and Holiday Traditions

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/26/03 at 18:20 (131188)

marie:
My undergrad school, Rutgers College, was located near Camp Kilmer where a number of Hungarian refugees from the 1956 revolution settled in NJ.
They opened Hungarian restaurants. Incredible food! With cooking like that, I don't see how anyone could go hungry in Hungary :D
Ed

Re: Food, Family and Holiday Traditions

John H on 9/26/03 at 19:09 (131191)

Dr. Ed: I arrived at McGuire AFB, N.J. in 1957 and lived in Wrightstown. Flew C-118's (DC-6B) for 4 years out of there throughout most of Europe,the far North and Mideast. Spent many hours at Camp Kilmer. What I remember about eating was the Philly chesse stake subs in Wrightstown.