Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for Julie

Posted by BGCPed on 9/28/03 at 08:34 (131417)

I see you are from England. While I may be one of the people that posted things that are not appreciated by some, i have a question.

I am serious about this and it is not a slam on England. The Illusionist/Magician David Blane is the Guy hanging in the clear box over the river Thames. It seems like every day somebody is throwing rocks at him, shooting paint balloons or protesting it.

Can you give me your take on why so many people have mobilized and why they are so angry at a guy sitting in a clear box? I would think it gives him more publicity but I dont get why some many people are doing it

Re: Question for Julie

Julie on 9/28/03 at 11:34 (131457)

I know it's a serious question, Brian, and I don't know if I can answer it correctly, because it's very hard to say. My take on it is that there is a lot of anger and violence generally in society (yes, here too), especially in large cities, and when some angry people see what appears to be an easy, vulnerable target that can't retaliate, they attack it. Once that sort of thing starts, others follow suit, and it becomes hard to stop. The cost of protecting him from real injury (as opposed to egg-and-paint throwing) has been heavy, and the Metropolitan Police insisted theother day that David Blaine's managers start footing the bill for the extra security that is clearly needed.

Some commentators have suggested that the behaviour of the crowds is evidence of a healthy distrust of a blatant publicity stunt. I think that's ridiculous, and callous. Others have said that his starving himself is pointless and makes a mockery of real starvation. But whatever the reason for the behaviour, it's appalling and indefensible, and I feel very sorry for David Blaine.

It's actually giving him very bad publicity, and his agents are furious about it. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled him before the 44 days are up.

BGCPed on 9/28/03 at 11:37 (131459)

Is it possible that he isnt even in there? He after all, an illusionist. I think that would be a very funny turn if on the 44th day they opened it and it was some type of hologram or digital image instead of him. Thanks for the opinion

Julie on 9/28/03 at 12:06 (131471)

I never thought of that! I almost hope you're right. A hologram wouldn't be suffering as he must certainly be. If he stays there the whole 44 days they will open the box to find a very unhappy bunny with a wrecked digestive system and a sore heart - and possibly a stalemated career. It's sad.

marie on 9/28/03 at 12:23 (131477)

The whole thing gives me the willies...kinda like the heebie jeebies. It would be interesting if it was a hologram. There are many artists who work totally with illusion. Of course art is an opticle illusion anyway. It amazes me when I get up to the object I think is in the room only to find that there is nothing there.

BGCPed on 9/28/03 at 12:41 (131491)

I know I cant count how many times I have driven fast on a mountain road, only to find out the curve ahead is just a big canvas painting of a curve. You would never guess what happens next

marie on 9/28/03 at 12:47 (131498)

Ok what happens next?.....you drive through it like the roadrunner but he keeps going. It's only when the coyote drives through it that he plummits to the ground.

There are a few artists out there that are working with holograms. I've been to a couple of shows. It's really amazing.

BGCPed on 9/28/03 at 13:09 (131512)

Would it be possible to actually project one in 3-d in a clear box? Maybe he is transmitting it from a remote or it is a looped repeat that maybe took just 1 or 2 days to do. Put it on shuffle so it doesnt repeat the same exact movements in a given time frame and there you have it.

I dont know if it can be done but it would be hilarious to one up all the idiots that are attacking the box

marie on 9/28/03 at 13:18 (131519)

I don't know enough about holograph art to say for sure. But I have been to some incredible exhibits. A clear box...glass has the reflective qualities needed.

Richard, C.Ped on 10/04/03 at 08:33 (132155)

Who knows...it might have been David himself in disguise throwing the first egg at the box. Wouldnt that be a riot!!!

If it is not a hologram.....you have to admit the toy helicopter with the cheesburger was pretty funny. Sounds like something I would do...hahahahaha.