Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Wear Different Since PF

Posted by Ersten on 9/29/03 at 11:29 (131626)

Prior to PF (a little over two years ago), the heels of my shoes wore evenly. Since PF (my case is not severe, but the pain is constant, and standing in one spot after a few minutes is uncomfortable), the outside of my left heel (my left foot has a worse case of PF than my right foot) wears considerably more than the inside, while the heel wear on my right heel is the same as before PF.

I know that there are heel inserts that can correct the angle of the heel, but that does not address the reason why this is happening. Does anyone know what causes this, and how I can change something about my walking (without resorting to inserts) to remedy this?

I started using the green Superfeet with brand new shoes a few weeks ago, but the wearing pattern is still the same.

Re: Heel Wear Different Since PF

Kathy G on 9/30/03 at 08:08 (131721)

Do you have PF in both feet? Is it worse in one than it is in the other? I know that they say that PF can change one's gait and I wonder if you're favoring one foot over the other and this accounts for the difference in the wear pattern?

The big question is: Are you feeling better? Because if you are, then it makes no difference if one heel is wearing quicker than the other.

I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable people on the board will respond to your question and they will certainly have a better grasp of this whole subject than I!

Carole C in NOLA on 9/30/03 at 17:36 (131775)

It's probably happening because the pain in your feet is affecting your gait and causing you to walk differently than previously.

Proper custom orthotics should help the problem better than heel inserts or Superfeet (since those did not work for you).

Carole C

Ersten on 10/01/03 at 17:04 (131869)

I guess I'll give the Superfeet and the Strassburg sock (which I started using a week ago on both feet) more time before considering the next step of custom orthotics.

Thanks for your replies.