Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heat IS incredible!

Posted by Sher A on 9/29/03 at 19:23 (131669)

Kathy G and Dr. Z, you are soooo right. The heat did amazing things for my poor feet. I've been at #9-10 with pf pain for most of the summer now and after reading through here I tried the heat last Saturday night. While I was doing my email, I wrapped my right foot in a heating pad at medium heat and just stayed like that for 20 minutes or so. Then I wrapped up my left foot in it for another 15 or so. I didn't want to say anything and I'm still almost afraid to, but yesterday (Sunday), it was gone!!!! I was actually able to go for a walk in the woods with my dogs!! I never realized how much we rely on our feet until I could hardly stand on them. And now today is Monday and I am still relatively pain free!!! Oh what a reprieve, it's almost like a new lease on life. So maybe it is a combination of the orthotics made by the pod, plus the heat. I did notice that the orthotics must have corrected something, as I'm not feeling the pain radiating up the back of my leg as I had been for the last couple of years. That may be the best $$$ I've spent. Please please cross your fingers that this continues to help me, lord knows, nothing else has seemed to. And give the heat a try. I just wonder if that was really what helped, or if I just got lucky?

Re: Heat IS incredible!

marie on 9/29/03 at 19:51 (131676)

Congrats! sounds like you have found something that works for you. I have occasionally used heat too. Not too hot and like you for only about 10-13 minutes. Keep smiling.

best wishes marie

Suzanne D on 9/29/03 at 20:53 (131685)

I'm so glad the heat helped, Sher! I don't know why it does, but it helps me, too. My feet are more stiff now than hurting, and perhaps the heat relaxes the muscles and helps them not be so stiff.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad you've found relief!
Suzanne :)

Dr. Z on 9/30/03 at 07:48 (131712)

heat has been on of the oldest physical therapy treatments the world has known. Heat is an analgesic, increases blood flow to the area, relaxes muscles and relaxes the mind. Use heat in a whirlpool and the effects can
be even better

Kathy G on 9/30/03 at 08:02 (131719)

I'm so glad that it helped, Sher. Today, I am planning to be on my feet a bit more than usual and I have decided that I will use a heating pad before I take my shower. I always do my exercises after the shower when my feet are more limber. Maybe if I combine the two, I'll have good luck.

Take it easy and don't overdo it now that you are feeling better. I know that when I am feeling well, I tend to do way more than I should.

As Dr. Z says, wet heat is better than dry heat and I guess a whirlpool would be great for our feet. I know they sell footbath-type things. Great description, huh? But they vibrate and you soak your feet in them at the same time. I tried one that a friend had once and they just tickled my feet so badly that I couldn't stop laughing. I don't know if my feet would react that way now. I mean, there was a time when I wouldn't let my husband touch my feet; I'd just laugh in anticipation because they are so ticklish. Now I gladly let him massage them for me!

Hope your progress continues!

john h on 9/30/03 at 13:57 (131751)

Dr Z: Heat followed closely by a dry martini. Dr. Z is your ESWT treatments steady or showing an increase or decrease? As a result of all your treatments over the past few years have you changed your protocol in any way either during or after treatment?

john h on 9/30/03 at 14:14 (131757)

Sher: I often place my feet/fascia right up against the jet in the hot whirlpool at the health club. I think the water temp is around 109 degrees

Carole C in NOLA on 9/30/03 at 19:35 (131789)

Whatever it is, keep doing what you are doing! You have found 'the key' to your recovery. Maybe it's the heat, or maybe it's the orthotics, or maybe both together. My orthotics are great, but I have to admit that I haven't tried heat. I'm tempted to do so, now!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 9/30/03 at 19:39 (131790)

Someday when I'm fabulously rich and living in the lap of luxury (HA!) I will have a jacuzzi tub installed in my bathroom, or even better, a hot tub in the back yard. Meanwhile, I can dream about it and take a nice bath in my (normal) tub, with some night blooming jasmine bubble bath.

That hot whirlpool sounds so wonderful, especially for arthritis or for insomnia, not to mention for feet. I'll bet it is really relaxing.

Carole C