Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone with narrow feet bought Birk clogs?

Posted by Kathy G on 9/30/03 at 08:25 (131723)

Hi All,

As cold weather is starting, I am thinking of trying a pair of Birkenstock clogs to wear alternately with my running shoes and orthotics. It seems as though the orthotics make my heels worse but my arches better and my custom Birks do the opposite. What I've been doing is kind of alternating what I wear, sometimes changing mid-day. But when it's cold, the Birks are not an option, except maybe around the house.

I wear custom Floridas that my Pod made for me but he doesn't do any clogs. Actually, as I write this, I'm thinking I should call him and see if he has the capability and willingness to try some clogs. But I'm thinking that Birkenstocks with moderate arch support may do the trick for me.

I have very narrow feet and would do best with Birks that could be adjusted. The Pod put extra holes in the straps of the Floridas for me and they are as tight as they can be made. Birkenstock Express has a style called Silverlake thats look like it might work out as it has a moderate arch, comes in narrow and has a stap. Clogs would work out best for me because since I don't work anymore, I wear jeans or pants nearly all the time in the winter.

Try as I might, I just can't bring myself to wear Birkenstocks with socks! I know John will approve of that!:)

Anyone with narrow feet out there who's had good luck with the clogs?

Re: Has anyone with narrow feet bought Birk clogs?

nancy s. on 9/30/03 at 08:40 (131725)

hi kathy. (hi kathy!) i don't know if the Bostons are officially clogs, but they're certainly clog-like, and they were the first pair of birks i ever bought (after robin b. on this site convinced me to try a pair).

i have four pairs of Bostons now, and i too have narrow feet. they do come in narrow, plus they have one side buckle and a few holes in the buckle strap to make them tighter or looser. they must do well for a lot of feet, because they've been one of the birk classics for a long time now.

i haven't tried any other birk clog. right now i'm hooked on Coopers, which for some reason they didn't make for very long. they've been my birk of choice for almost two years, but Bostons run a close second.

best to you from nancy

Rachael T. on 9/30/03 at 16:55 (131773)

I LOVE my Bostons! I will check out the Coopers as mentioned by another board writer....but for 2 years, Bostons have been my favs - & especially so when my feet 'flare up!'

Carole C in NOLA on 9/30/03 at 17:31 (131774)

I don't have narrow feet, but you are smart to look for a clog that can be adjusted. Ones with buckles and straps (I think the Boston is like this) can be tightened. That way the clog won't fall off your feet when the leather stretches and gets looser.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 9/30/03 at 18:11 (131778)

Hi, Kathy! I have a pair of Bostons which are the narrow size. I have narrow heels and a somewhat medium width forefoot (Everything about my feet is 'different'!). Ny feet are also thin. The Bostons fit fine, but I must wear socks with them. Of course in the winter, I would think most people would want to wear socks with them. The socks don't really show that much with pants, and without them, the shoes would slide off my feet.

The only thing that makes them not too comfortable for me is that I have toenail fungus in both big toenails. Right now both toes are sore to the touch, and the Bostons press on them more than my SAS shoes or my Annapolis Birks. So the Bostons are sitting in my closet at the present.

Good luck! I hope you find a pair that is comfortable for you!

Suzanne :)

marie on 9/30/03 at 20:17 (131800)

I have two pair of Bostons in the narrow size. I really like them....I'm still breaking them in.

marie

Re: PS: nancy s

marie on 9/30/03 at 20:18 (131801)

nancy,

Your the one who turned me on to birkenstocks.....thanks! I've done my best to pass the word.

best wishes marie

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/30/03 at 20:44 (131803)

Kathy:

I am not sure that your question was answered. My general observation is that Birkenstock clogs do not work well for people with narrow feet. Using two pairs of socks and placing soft insoles on top of the footbeds are options but my feeling is if you are going to pay the price for the shoe, it really needs to fit better. There are some narrow widths available by special order but the styles and sizes are very limited.
The same problem exists with the custom birks as the footbed is custom but it is still placed in a stock Birk shoe.
Ed

Pam S. on 9/30/03 at 22:54 (131811)

Hi Kathy:
I have the world's thinnest feet. I have only one pair of Birk clogs. they are black (what else is new) but I have no idea what they are called.
How do people know that? They seemed to work pretty well last winter but I only wear them around the house. Now they seem to have stretched and I am falling out of them. They put a pad in the bottom when I bought them to help fill them up.

I think you would like them since you wear orthodics and I think they look good with pants. I can try to find the name of them.

I am having good luck with Mephistos but they are only sandles. I dread when it turns cold. Good luck, Pam

Dorothy on 10/01/03 at 00:29 (131815)

Back a while ago, some people here were talking about using Vicks Vaporub on nails for fungus - I believe it was John H. who was trying it - and maybe they could tell you if it worked for them or not. I have also read in several places - Dr. Weil for one - that tea tree oil (in the essential oil form) on nails with fungus does work, but it takes a while of daily use as a TOPICAL treatment. I don't know personally because so I have escaped that particular problem. But maybe ? Vicks? and maybe tea tree oil. Either one is certainly safer than some of the oral treatments for it.

Carole C on 10/01/03 at 06:51 (131822)

Pam, maybe you can figure out which ones they are by looking at the pictures at http://www.birkenstockexpress.com . I found out which ones mine were, by looking on the box they came in. Your box is probably long gone, though!

Bostons are the Birkenstock clog that I've seen most often. I have Amsterdams, but I'm not sure they are still made (and I don't have narrow feet). I don't wear them much, though. In the winter, I've been wearing New Balance or SAS shoes during the day and Birkenstock sandals around the house in the evenings.

Do your clogs have straps and buckles so that you can tighten them? It sounds like you probably need another pair.

Carole C

Pam S. on 10/01/03 at 15:14 (131852)

Thx Carole, No my clogs do not have a strap. You are right, I need that to keep the shoe on my foot. It is such an ordeal to find shoes for me. I think I will look into those SAS shoes for day wear. It is cold where I live so I cannot wear the sandle/sock routine outside.
I bought the Birk clogs just to wear as an expensive house shoe! HAAA just slip into when you get out of bed type of thing. Now I am sliding right out of them. I will go back there and see what else might work. I will say the Mephistos seem to work better for me in terms of arch support. They just hit me right.

Just for the info., I just today bought a new pair of the Brooks Ariel running shoe to wear for walking. They are truly supportive shoes that others have talked about on this board. They only come in Medium width but I bought those power step inserts at the running store there and with two pairs of socks on I think it can work. They really felt this was the best shoe made for flat pronating feet.

Hope all is well and thx for the tips. Pam

Re: PS: nancy s

nancy s. on 10/02/03 at 18:37 (131996)

hi marie (i've been away a couple of days). if what you say is true, i'm happy. some pieces of advice are worth repeating from one person to another to another to another, and to at least give birks a try is for many people one of them.

someone here seems to think that, in general, birk clogs don't work for narrow feet. i and several others are living proof that sometimes they do (i doubt i'd even be walking without them). they would certainly be worth a try for kathy.

great night to you, marie. even though today my van's gate popped open as i drove uphill and a big old metal cart back there almost got dumped on the hood of the car behind me (and the driver yelled at me for stopping!), the evening is going much better than the day. road rage, don't ya love it?

nancy